Drain pipe separated from coupling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkerpilot05

Reaction score
I have a septic system that drains out from the basement wall. The drain pipe follows the wall and then goes down a long radius clean out and connects to a "no hub coupling" that connects to the pipe that exists the basement wall to the holding tank. The pipe end from the clean out tee pulled away from the coupling and started leaking. It was easy to notice as the previous owner painted the ABS pipe white so you could see the exposed black of the pipe that pulled out. Because the pipe that exited the wall was sealed with hydraulic cement and some of the cement was on the coupling and it was all painted white that I assume it has been this way since house was built in 1987 and we didn't move in to 2005 and have done no work on this. I have since cleaned off some of the cement. I can't understand why the pipe with the cleanout now pulled away from the coupling?

I was able to loosen the coupling and push it back in. However, I noticed that the pipe that exits the wall is at an angle that the two pipes don't align up flush. In fact, the rubber seal in the coupling has a center in the rubber seal to push the pipe up against and when there connected, the angle of the pipe exiting the basement wall could not be pushed in all the way flush to the center and was angled so that the top part of the pipe could not be up against the stop inside of the rubber membrane. It is about a 1/8-1/4" short of going all the way in. This is because the pipe exiting the wall is angled downward as it flows outward and won't align with the inside pipe as that is at a flatter angle.

Any ideas of why after 30 years the pipe pulled away?
20190317_120633.jpeg20190317_120641.jpeg20190317_120757.jpeg

Sounds like that entire piping assembly may have dropped enough to cause that to happen.
Did you try lifting it?
20190317_120641.jpg

The pipes can't be pushed up because it pushes the pipe as it runs along the wall right to the wall and there is not much gap between the wall and pipe.

It could have dropped down as the is only one support strap at the 45 of the pipe where it goes away from the wall to mate with the clean out tee. I could add another support strap.

The angle of the two pipes bothers me as the due to the angle, the coupling has to be cocked slightly on one end and the pipes can't be pushed in toward the stop of the rubber seal inside of it. However, the side cocked is on the pipe that leaves the basement wall so I thought that would pull from the coupling but it was the tee side of the pipe that separated from the coupling and the coupling stayed attached to the wall pipe.

The coupling has been painted but I attached a picture of the coupling used I believe.

The other part is there is hardly any pipe sticking out from the wall. Barely enough to get the fitting on especially with the hydraulic cement used protruding out.20190318_084712.jpeg20190318_084119.jpeg

I see what you are saying. The other problem is that the PVC pipe out from the wall only comes out a short distance. The distance is less on the top versus the bottom because of the angle. To glue a 90 on it, I will have to chip away at the hydraulic cement as it protrudes out from the wall to far to get the PVC 90 fitting the way in. I attached a close up picture of the pipe at the wall. The house is all black ABS pipe(painted white by previous owner) and the pipe through the basement wall is PVC.20190318_153009.jpeg

I looked at a 4" coupler and the pipe is inserted 1 3/4" into the coupler. If the pipe only goes in 1 1/4" and is 1/2" short of going in all the way, is this still acceptable? If only a longer piece of pipe extended out from the wall.

Chip the 1/2'' you need from around the pipe
You can do it with a hammer and a chisel in about 10 minutes
s far as the difference between abs and pvc. use the correct glue
View attachment 20271
I am currently chipping away. It is taking a lot longer then 10 minutes. It is as hard as a rock. At first it would break away but as I go into the stuff, it isn't chipping so easily and then you have to be very careful of the pipe.

You are having difficulty because the piping is not installed correctly

View attachment 20257
Attached is a picture of the 2 pipes and how they meet. You can see how far off the angle is. For a temporary fix, I used the right coupler. I chipped away enough cement to glue a fitting. However, I would rather use the coupler in your picture which I am temporarily using and then transition to a clean out at the proper angle of the 2 pipes and tie it to the existing pipe. Because of the angle of the pipes, I will have to have the cleanout run at a 45 as it may be slightly higher then the pipe running along the wall. That may be why they left the angle of the 2 pipes as is and used a coupler to tie them together back in 1989. Can the coupler you mentioned be used as it is currently assuming both pipes are at the right angle? Or does the transition upward cause to much stress on the coupling?20190320_091651.jpeg20190320_100149.jpeg

Last edited:
Back