Drain Pipe Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALK

Reaction score
I replaced my bathroom sink faucet but there is a very slow leak where the green arrow is in the attached photo. The water seems to be going down the drain, coming out the side holes in the drain pipe (the holes for the overflow water to drain through) and seeping down between the rubber cone gasket and the pipe threads.

Why is it leaking and how do I fix it?

Leak Photo.jpg

The best way to eliminate the leak is to get rid of the cheap plastic! If that is not an option, you might try adding Rectorseal to the rubber gasket and the threads and do not overtighten it the next time. Everytime I use those plastic fittings, I overtighten them and they always leak!

Frakking Home Depot Moen TRASH plastic pop-ups.

I wouldn't trust it even if you did get it to stop with dope. Though I can't imagine you'll get it to stop. I've had at least 4 of those things leak without being able to fix em.

Moen is great. From Home Depot not so much.....

If you want to TRY to fix it, thread the nut down all the way until it runs out of threads. Then apply pipe dope to the threads below the rubber washer. Then pull the rubber washer down on top of the nut, and pipe dope the crap out of the threads above the washer. Then tighten it back up.

If you want to TRY to fix it, thread the nut down all the way until it runs out of threads. Then apply pipe dope to the threads below the rubber washer. Then pull the rubber washer down on top of the nut, and pipe dope the crap out of the threads above the washer. Then tighten it back up.

If I do that, and it does not leak, it is fixed for the long term? Or do I have to worry about it starting to leak down the road.

Since your drain is not pressurized, once you stop the leak, you should be OK. I'd place a small container under the sink for a few days and monitor it a few times a day, but there are no leaks within a week, you should be good to go. If you use Rectorseal instead of normal pipe dope, it has sealing abilities which will help seal any slight dribbles. Good luck!

Since your drain is not pressurized, once you stop the leak, you should be OK. I'd place a small container under the sink for a few days and monitor it a few times a day, but there are no leaks within a week, you should be good to go. If you use Rectorseal instead of normal pipe dope, it has sealing abilities which will help seal any slight dribbles. Good luck!

They have both rector seal #2, rector seal 5, and Oatey's Great White at my local home depot. Which is best?

If it does still leak and I have to take it apart, does rectorseal make it harder to do?

They have both rector seal #2, rector seal 5, and Oatey's Great White at my local home depot. Which is best?

If it does still leak and I have to take it apart, does rectorseal make it harder to do?

I prefer Rectorseal # 5. The trick is to really mix it inside the tube, so it comes out like toothpaste. If you don't, you will get chunks of dryness that defeats its purpose. And no, it does not stop you from removing it easily, but you should feel slight resistance as you remove the fitting.

I prefer Rectorseal # 5. The trick is to really mix it inside the tube, so it comes out like toothpaste. If you don't, you will get chunks of dryness that defeats its purpose. And no, it does not stop you from removing it easily, but you should feel slight resistance as you remove the fitting.

Thank you. One final question, how long do I let it set before running water through the drain?

I would hand tighten just snug, and run the water immediately. If it still leaks, hand tighten some more. If it still leaks, you may have stripped the threads to the point that nothing will help except for full replacement of the plastic parts.

I would hand tighten just snug, and run the water immediately. If it still leaks, hand tighten some more. If it still leaks, you may have stripped the threads to the point that nothing will help except for full replacement of the plastic parts.

I did just that. At first it leaked. Then I tightened it up more and now (knock wood) it is dry. I put a container under it and will watch it for a week and see how it goes.

Thanks!

You might try it with a full sink of water. Fill it up completely, and then let it drain all the way out. If you have no leaks, you're probably set.

You might try it with a full sink of water. Fill it up completely, and then let it drain all the way out. If you have no leaks, you're probably set.

Thanks. I did it several times and it is dry.

Sounds like you are good to go! Just keep a container down there for a few days and if it is still dry, you can move onto another much needed chore!

Back