Drain pipe in 4 story residential

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

Builder-Song

Reaction score
Been searching for hours now and need answer soon.

Thank you in advance.

My house is built with cast iron piping due to it being 4 story. My question is regarding the bath drain and ptrap,. The pipe underneath is cast iron. Do I have to make the drain portion and ptrap metal as well? Or can I use ABS. Would ABS handle the pressure test with that amount filled with water at the lowest level?

Geofd

Staff member
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank you in advance.

My house is built with cast iron piping due to it being 4 story. My question is regarding the bath drain and ptrap,. The pipe underneath is cast iron. Do I have to make the drain portion and ptrap metal as well? Or can I use ABS. Would ABS handle the pressure test with that amount filled with water at the lowest level?

Thank you in advance.

Geofd

Staff member
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you just changing an exsisting tub drain or are you testing the stack and its branches??????if your just changing the tub drain check the acceptable materials in your local plumbing code

frodo

Just call me Macgyver
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right here right now, over there later on.
A 4 story building?
you can not use plastic in a 4 story building,
The code for the use of ABS/PVC is maximum 3 stories
A 4 story building will require you to install cast iron piping
or copper.