Drain pipe coming out of wall too big for p trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deziluloo

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here so go easy on me. I don't know any of the techical jargon so i will do my best please bare with me here! So.. I have 2 problems.
1) for my bathroom sink we have a black drain pipe coming out of the wall that connects obviously to the outside world to drain our water from the sink. This pipe has no threads on it, its just a pipe. I dont know if i am missing a part or what but i can't connect any p traps or anything to it. Just a drain pipe sticking out the wall.
2) this pipe measures 2 1/2 inches in diameter. All p traps and adapters go up to 2 inches max and standard p traps are 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inches. Again i feel like maybe im missing something from drain pipe to ptrap that i need but i have no idea what im doing here.

Any advice or clarification on the names of these parts is helpful. I haven't had a bathroom sink since i moved in a year ago because plumbers can be expensive and i didn't think i was going to have this many problems.

Thanks for any advice !!

Attachments

• 15848402575758780950205188408779.jpg
    15848402575758780950205188408779.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Small section of abs pipe and the trap adapter fitting that Frodo posted will then allow you to go to 1 1/2 pipe.

It looks like the piece in the wall is a 1-1/2" Hub end into which that adapter would fit directly into it, being a 1-1/2" Spigot x Slip Joint ABS DWV Trap Adapter.
I think that's what frodo was planning. Was it not?
I'd be very curious as to how it got to be left that way. Did OP buy the house that way or did she get it to that point?

desiluloo you will need a small can of ABS cement/glue also.

It glues the trap adapter into the fitting you have now, there is a small dauber brush inside to wipe a thin layer onto both surfaces.

You can find Youtube videos on gluing ABS fittings.

The black pipe is ABS, in case that wasn't clear from the other responses. Make sure you get ABS glue to put that fitting in the existing pipe. Other glue types won't work.

Then, if you're using an all threaded "bag" trap, make sure you face the gaskets the correct way (flat side towards the nut, beveled side towards the pipe), and you should be good. They just need a solid hand tightening.

Only other thing you might need is a threaded tailpiece extension if the p-trap won't reach the pipe under the sink on its own. A gasket and nut is all you need to fit that on, too. They should come with different gaskets to fit either 1 1/2" or 1 1/4".

Unfortunately long story short was my moms house she wasn't in a good spot so let some people live with her, one meth head led to another, mom passed house is hecked all the way up also built in 1940s original status, hired a guy we knew for repairs on plumbing ... the guy who was working on it
1)Didn't finish putting in the shower and
2)Decided not to finish the job that we paid him for after realizing that my man is hispanic Ugh racists, so we're stuck for a minute.

Measuring the opening of this though it is at 2 & 1/2 in. Thats why im struggling so hard here.

I see what you guys are saying about ABS glue i definitely will be picking that up but my problem is that pipe sticking out of the wall is 2 and a half inches so maybe im misunderstanding but the 1 and a half wont fit in that right ?

Also i appreciate your kind responses!! Very helpful.
@Diehard my life story for your interests haha

Yes, thank you.
Here's the thing regarding pipe measurements.
Pipe sizes are actually what is referred to as the nominal size. For example, a 1-1/2" ABS or PVC pipe has an outside diameter(O.D.) of approximately 1.9". A 2" ABS or PVC pipe has an O.D. of 2.39".

Since your picture appears to show a bell end of a fitting(not a pipe end), which would allow a pipe to be inserted into it, the inside dimension(I.D.) would closely match the O.D. of the pipe. That would make the O.D. almost 3/8" more.

That would make the O.D. of a 1-1/2" fitting measure a bit less than 2-1/4".
And it would make the O.D. of a 2" fitting measure a bit less than 2-3/4".

Sooo...I believe it was assumed that what you have sticking out the wall is a 1-1/2" fittng based on your 2-1/2" measurement of what was assumed to be the O.D.

Confused?

I would suggest you measure the inside diameter of that piece. And try to confirm if that piece we see is actually bell(female) end of a fitting or a straight pipe. (Just stick your finger in it about 3/4" of an inch to determine if it changes in size. A fitting would get a bit smaller while a plain end pipe would have a uniform diameter.

Attachments

• Fitting End.jpg
    Fitting End.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Pipe end.jpg
    Pipe end.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 0
Based on the little shiny bit I can see showing above the fitting, I think that is likely a Tee fitting.

Which would normally be fully recessed in the wall, with a short pipe attached, ending in a trap adapter.

But with the goofy history there, the Tee might have been placed closer than normal.

Either way, the fix is the same.
Buy the appropriate size ABS trap adaptor with a male end, for 1 1/2 inch tubular trap, and glue it in there.

If you are confused, just buy several sizes at Home Depot or wherever, and bring back the wrong ones.

Long story short because i hate to type
You need a 1 1/2'' ftg x male thread trap adapter
you also need a
1 1/2'' x 1 1/4'' reducing slip nut with washer
print this, or take a picture, go to a big orange store or a blue one
Or hum the song ace is the place with the helpful hardware man
ask the guy in the plumbing department to give you what is on the paper

Note. if you not involved. flag down a plumbing truck
Get a date with a plumber and tell him to fix the sink for free !!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe frodo had it correct the first time, but as he said, he hates to type and didn't explain it to the DIY'er that obviously had problems following the sizing selection.

Ohhhhhhh okay yes thank you for the clarification like i said i have 0 knowledge on any of it.. I dont know technical terms etc.

I see what you guys are saying now. If i have any more questions once i get the right pieces ill let you know.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back