Drain noise; Me or my Building?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyzenstein

Reaction score
Hello friendly plumbing people!

I live on 1st floor of 6-floor apartment building.
Recently the drainage has become so loud from the other apartments above. We have a central stack that runs through the bathrooms but I hear it coming through my showers drain for some reason.... like a hollow gurgling at first then hiss then the obvious draining away of water.
I use the shower all the time so I don't think it would be a dry P trap..?
I tried to research the stack plumbing type we have which led me here but I'm not au fait with this level of plumbing.
Now a few months ago, I left drain cleaner in for a bit too long (ostensibly) and the centre piece (name?) shifted sideways. I pushed it straight again with pliers but couldnt take the grate off. (pic attached)
So basically im wondering if this is my fault and need to fit a new trap or it is a problem where my waste pipe meets the building stack.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

20190602-095214.jpg

pop the grate with a sharp rap.[hammer] ..that should dislodge the gunk that is causing it to stick

then post a picture of what is in side of it

the drain noise.
pvc is the worlds worst at amplifying drain noise
only thing that can fix it. is to insulate the pipe

Right, good advice, grate came off easy. So this is what I have inside.
Both pieces look pretty distorted (I'm assuming damage from when i left the drain cleaner in too long?)
That centre cap is loose & the O-ring doesn't even fit snug anymore. I cleaned a lot of hair and junk out & replaced everything as best I could to no avail. Still very loud drainage from the upstairs apartments. I'm guessing I need to replace those inside grey pieces?

Thanks,

20190602-181908.jpg

20190602-182805.jpg

20190602-182809.jpg

I don’t work on multi story/multi family places. Just a guess but maybe it’s some sort of backwater check valve

Really, nobody knows what this is?
While i appreciate your humor, @frodo it hasn't helped in the least.

@Rickyman, i highly doubt it. That is the "trap" of my shower, directly below the drain grate.

Update for anyone that cares. it is called a hydrotek shower trap. It is a south african product made and promoted locally so perhaps you dont get it in your countries.

That's an interesting design. It would appear that a vent would not be required to prevent siphonage. I doubt it's approved in the US.

Latest posts

Back