Drain Maintenance

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior9

Reaction score
Curious if anyone here recommends any maintenance for keeping the drains flowing?

Reason I ask is I just had my shower drain start backing up after two years of use (new construction). I bought one of those plastic hair snakes and removed a bunch of hair buildup and possible soap scum?…it is flowing good as new now.

I’ve read online articles that suggest the use of different products for use as maintenance to prevent this. The two ones that I questioned were the enzyme based drain cleaners, or lye crystals.

Any truth behind this? I have all PVC pipes. Or should I just wait until a problem arises and snake it?

Thanks!

I’d just get a couple snakes and keep strainers in place.

Pvc that’s installed correctly usually is no problem and if it does clog it’s usually easy to open up.

Food Grease and creamy/oily soap along with hair air common contributors.

Thick toilet paper with low flow toilets can also cause issues. Wet wipes, junk like that.

Of course outside it’s roots a lot of times in the main sewer.

I’d just get a couple snakes and keep strainers in place.

Pvc that’s installed correctly usually is no problem and if it does clog it’s usually easy to open up.

Food Grease and creamy/oily soap along with hair air common contributors.

Thick toilet paper with low flow toilets can also cause issues. Wet wipes, junk like that.

Of course outside it’s roots a lot of times in the main sewer.

Thanks! I haven’t had any issues besides the shower drain. That was very easy to clean up too.

Just wanted to check in and see if anything else might have been recommended.

Back