Drain in Cellar Backing up with sewage

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony_akatony

Reaction score
I have a home built around the 40's in western Kentucky. ive lived here for almost a year now and for over the first half of owning the home ive never experienced any flooding from my cellar, granted i dont look down their every day.. anyway, for the past 4 days ive had to pump my cellar out with a dirty water pump because of it filling with water.. ive had to pump it out once before prior to this and i assumed it was from a accumulation of rain over several weeks and even months since i had last checked down there. after wading in water for several days i have realized it is not rain water and their is no leaks in the foundation.. there is also no leaks in and of my piping leading to the sewer drain. all of the crawlspaces that branch off of my cellar are dry as well. the drain that i am almost 99% sure that the water is coming from drains right next to my sewer lines so im guessing they meet up together and go to the road from there. i can pump the water down to a 1/4in in the evening after work, then go inside and go to bed, not use any water, and wake up the next morning and their will be another couple feet of water in my cellar... it literally makes no sense to me.. i get if their was a clog in the line it could cause water to come back up, but how would that be possible if i wasn't using any water??? also if you take a plunger to the top of the drain and plunge sometimes bits of toilet paper will come up.. is it possible that the city could be backed up from all the rain, as well as some construction way down the road as well??? i did see the water company go all up and down my road yesterday but they never made it down to my end.. i talked to one of the workers and he said everything was flowing good.. but he said he would take a look at the sewage line by my house when he was under there.. but i never saw him again.. any ideas at all what could be causing this?
side note, my breaker box is in my cellar so this has created a even more stressful situation as i have to keep the water down and away from my breaker box.. PLEASE HELP
will attach some pictures of the drain, not sure what that will help though.

received_1634065383295264.jpg

received_1634065413295261.jpg

If you have floor drains in the basement that is where your sewer is coming from. Have someone flush your toilets a couple two or three times and you watch the floor drains and see if water comes out of them. If so then your main drain line is plugged and if not call the city yourself and have them check things out. Maybe your getting sewage from a neighbor somehow. Let us know what you find out.

Tom is right call water and sewer ASAP... Is it clear water coming
up next to your drain or is it sewer if its clear and cold it could
a water main

well if its not clear and has paper in it its sewer sounds like
if it not coming out of your pip but around it something
may be broken in any case call your city or town tell them it's urgent
it's a health issue!!!!!!

Last edited:
Tom is right call water and sewer ASAP... Is it clear water coming
up next to your drain or is it sewer if its clear and cold it could
a water main

the water that is coming out is pretty dark and sometimes has bits of toilet paper in it.. this continues to happen whether i am using my water or not

Back