Drain for water softener / carbon filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_doug

Reaction score
Hello plumbing forum. i'm looking for some help / advice with a project i'm working on. My house is in southern California and was built in the 1950s with cast iron drain pipes.

I'll be installing a water softener and back flushing carbon filter on the patio in the near future. I am trying to determine best practice for getting the flush water from both the softener and filter into a drain. I'd rather not run it out into the garden. there is a cleanout located right next to where the softener / filter setup will go.

OD of the threads is 1 3/4. in a cursory search of the big box stores, this doesn't seem like a common cleanout cap size anymore. Is there a way to modify / adapt to get the appropriate arrangement (trap, standpipe, air gap fitting etc) to use this as a drain for the water softener / filter? Is there another approach i should be taking here instead?

If i'm missing any important information, i'll be happy to go find that and update this post.

Thank you.

Here is a picture of the existing cleanout on the patio

PXL_20220615_165724511.jpg

Back