Drain field issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madisontex

Reaction score
We live in Wake County NC. Our ground is red clay.

My drainfield is very slanted. The high part is always dry. The low part is always wet. Whenever it rains we have issues with pooling. The low point ground is so saturated from the rain that the septic water comes up. Our water usage is not excessive for the system we have. Is there anything we can do? The septic guy we have been working with said we can build up the yard and make it level. However, I’m reading that it not a good idea. We have a little ones and are constantly having to chase them away from wandering into the wet areas. I want to be able to use our yard without having to worry about the wet and nasty smell. Help is appreciated.

The soil over time may have washed away since it’s on a slope.

Adding a little soil may not be a bad idea if it’s done properly, no heavy equipment running over the field.

No way for me to dispute his on-site observations.

You need a soils engineer (it’s a thing here in NC) to design a proper septic system. My guess is whoever “designed” and built your system wasn’t so qualified and it wasn’t done correctly, or you wouldn’t have these issues.
We were briefly in escrow on a half acre lot in Mooresville, Iredell County. The required drain field for this red clay was 480’ of double-stack T&J panel and that would only support a 3 Br 2000 square foot home. We got out of the deal.
http://www.tjpanel.com/

My guess is whoever “designed” and built your system wasn’t so qualified and it wasn’t done correctly, or you wouldn’t have these issues.

That would be a guess for sure since we know nothing about this guys system other than it’s soggy in some parts of the drain field.

Latest posts

Back