Drain cleaning

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny3xd

Reaction score
Or "Why it cost so much?"

When giving a customer the cost,. The second question after cost is often "How come it's so much?"

The answer is not just because we can get away with it. It is also not that it is hard, heavy and dirty work. It is. Or the very expensive, specialized equipment. The rather unpleasant fact of the matter is that it has to pay well. No one in their right mind would work and be exposed to your family's, your family's visitors and possibly the city sewers connection(s) human waste if it did not pay well. After leaving your home or business, me, my tools, cloths and now vehicle are exposed to;

• Gastroenteritis (cramping stomach pains, diarrhea, and vomiting), caused by E. coli and other bacteria, protozoans such as Giardia and Cryptosporidia, and some viruses.
  • Cholera (extreme diarrhea and dehydration), caused by the bacteria Vibrio cholerae.
  • Leptospirosis (flu-like symptoms, accompanied by a persistent and severe headache), caused by the bacteria Leptospira. Leptospirosis may result in damage to the liver, kidneys, and blood, and it can be fatal.
  • Infectious hepatitis (jaundice and fever) due to the virus hepatitis A. It causes liver inflammation. One obvious sign of the hepatitis A virus (HAV) is jaundice — yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes. Other signs include tiredness, abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea. About 15 percent of people infected with HAV will have prolonged or relapsing symptoms over a six- to nine-month period.
  • Legionellosis (lung inflammation with fever, dry cough, and aching muscles and joints) caused by bacteria.
  • Skin and eye infections.
( How to Avoid Getting Sick From Your Sewer Cleaning Job | Cleaner Thanks to Sara Heger, Ph.D )
  • What ever acids, caustic chemicals you tried before calling me. (By the way, the customer before you lied to me about using these and made my job that much more dangerous. Not that you would be so unconcerned about my well being, eyesight, lungs, ability to work and support my family)

I personally worry about corona, HIV/AIDS, flues, common cold and whatever is next on the hit parade of epi and/or pandemics.

The very understandable "But you charged me a lot of money and were here X amount of time?" There are the just plane 'ol business costs. The taxes, insurances, tool and vehicle costs and maintenance. The time it took to drive to your home or facility. More than half the day is spent getting to the work.

That being said. I enjoy my work and am proud of my little business. I do my job to the best of my ability and take pride in doing it well. Most of my customers are in need and worry. I do my best to reassure them. Solve their problem and show them ways to avoid the problem in the future.

Then there is the slight grimace when at social events when someone asks "what do you do?"

(So. My question to you. What would you charge to come to my house and work with my family's and friend's sewage?)

Dan

I don’t worry about getting sick from cleaning drains. There’s no way to protect yourself from it.......either don’t do it or don’t worry about what you can’t change.

I don’t try to justify my prices to customers.
It’s not open for any type of discussion.

Perfectly reasonable question. While in someone's employ and aside from common curtacy to answer.. There are protections that should be taken.Fair pricing is always a concern. People often error in their own favor and I try to avoid that.

My main gigs are more elective Sales,design and manufacture of Ultra light vehicles and a future project, car/truck trailer that becomes the hull and the vehicle is the house/engine/cabin.
Might lead to being more conversant. Not "take it or leave it" customer interaction.
The goal being the customer feeling that they got a good value for their purchase.

Perfectly reasonable question. While in someone's employ and aside from common curtacy to answer.. There are protections that should be taken.Fair pricing is always a concern. People often error in their own favor and I try to avoid that.

My main gigs are more elective Sales,design and manufacture of Ultra light vehicles and a future project, car/truck trailer that becomes the hull and the vehicle is the house/engine/cabin.
Might lead to being more conversant. Not "take it or leave it" customer interaction.
The goal being the customer feeling that they got a good value for their purchase.
I really don’t understand what you’re saying.

Back