Drain cleaning side hustle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

DanBurani

Reaction score
I'm thinking of snaking and jetting drains as a side hustle. I have a power hand auger and a rigid kj1750 jetter. I want to buy a descent used drum machine and a camera. Any recommendations or advice is welcome

DanBurani

Reaction score
Yes of course, it would be an LLC. I work full time now but want to start to slowly gain experience and build a viable business.
Any recomends as to a good starter drum machine??

pasadena_commut

Reaction score
Do you have a plumber's or contractor's license (if those are different in your state)?

Working as a handyman here in California can be a risky business. See:

Key points:

• While a handyman generally operates without any form of insurance or bonding, this also means that customers have no legal obligation to pay handymen for their services.
  • Also in the event of a legal dispute, without a contractor license you would have no rights in court.
  • Consumers that enter into an agreement with non-licensed individuals also cannot be sued in the event on non-payment.
This doesn't mean that everybody is going to stiff you, but if they wanted to, they could. Your state may, and probably does, have very different laws.

DanBurani

Reaction score
Clearing drains does not require license in PA. Doing plumbing work does, however. This is just a side gig at this point, i will select jobs i can handle with machines i have.

paulwhatever

Reaction score
I'm thinking of snaking and jetting drains as a side hustle. I have a power hand auger and a rigid kj1750 jetter. I want to buy a descent used drum machine and a camera. Any recommendations or advice is welcome
Don't like calling it a side hustle, sounds scam like rather than a life's calling.

DanBurani

Reaction score
Don't like calling it a side hustle, sounds scam like rather than a life's calling.
Yeah, i regretted that too. Im actually looking to start small and grow slowly. My calling is to work for myself and i have a little residential experience with laterals and septic systems. Im accumulating equipment and would like to know of a decent snake to buy to start. Any suggestions???

Geofd

Staff member
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use rigid, Spartan, general cable machines, but they are solid drum machines
Electric ell makes very good open drum machines there are other good open drum machines out there too

paulwhatever

Reaction score
Yeah, i regretted that too. Im actually looking to start small and grow slowly. My calling is to work for myself and i have a little residential experience with laterals and septic systems. Im accumulating equipment and would like to know of a decent snake to buy to start. Any suggestions???
Funny how many jobs have folks who go on about their "calling" to do this or that. Seldom do you find a plumber who goes on about have a "calling" to do this type of work. Actors, lawyers, and professionals can go on about their deep seated love of their work, tradespeople? Don't hear it all that much. Oh well, you can't fight city hall.

DanBurani

Reaction score
By trade im a printer, been my full time gig for 45 years. I've been a helper with plumbers on weekendsand on my own a bit. Thats what im basing this on. The way the economy is right now i cannot retire, so next best thing is to work for myself

paulwhatever

Reaction score
By trade im a printer, been my full time gig for 45 years. I've been a helper with plumbers on weekendsand on my own a bit. Thats what im basing this on. The way the economy is right now i cannot retire, so next best thing is to work for myself
We are brothers in 45, me telco work, my true life's calling, apparently. Leaving year end, because of interest rates effect on pension. Rolling the dice we can avoid long term health care issues. Actually, I've never rolled the dice for real, just a figure of speech. Are cleanouts steady enough work to justify the gear required? Seems if you get with the home seller/buyer market it would be steady, but how to do that is another thing. Home sewer line inspection is a Youtube video that caught my attention for 3 or 4 minutes, along with the rest of everything. As a homeowner I'd pay someone who had no vested interest to push a high priced solution. Not suggesting everyone does, but it could happen. Good luck.

DanBurani

Reaction score
We are brothers in 45, me telco work, my true life's calling, apparently. Leaving year end, because of interest rates effect on pension. Rolling the dice we can avoid long term health care issues. Actually, I've never rolled the dice for real, just a figure of speech. Are cleanouts steady enough work to justify the gear required? Seems if you get with the home seller/buyer market it would be steady, but how to do that is another thing. Home sewer line inspection is a Youtube video that caught my attention for 3 or 4 minutes, along with the rest of everything. As a homeowner I'd pay someone who had no vested interest to push a high priced solution. Not suggesting everyone does, but it could happen. Good luck.
I have a rigid jetter and a 1/4" x 25 snake, want to buy a drum snake and camera. So, not too big of an investment to aquire the rest of the equipment i need. Keeping an eye out for used stuff.