Downstairs Toilet Bubble Explosion, Floor Drain Overflows -No Apparent Clog in Plumbing or Vent Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RapaNui

Reaction score
Hi all,

This past Summer we purchased our first house, a split-level from the 1960's. With this purchase we had the sewer line inspected by camera and cleaned a couple months after we moved in. Since we've had the house, the basement toilet splashes when upstairs toilet is flushed. These toilets are more or less stacked on top of one another, with the vent pipe directly above the upstairs bathroom on the roof (one vent pipe in the house).

Recently we've been experiencing overflows from a nearby drain in the basement when we run a load of laundry through the washer. The overflow is the worst on the first washer empty. This drain is between the utility sink the washer empties into and the main sewer line out of the house. The largest overflow of the drain was from a single upstairs toilet flush after returning from 3 days of being away from the house; however, flushing the upstairs toilet doesn't usually cause an overflow. The basement toilet also bubbles sometimes when the upstairs shower is running, along with the sound of running water in the utility sink drain (likely vacated p-trap), and a slight overflow of the basement drain. This is infrequent, but does happen.

Attempted solutions. I ran a 15ft auger through basement plumbing lines, but couldn't get into the drain, so I called a professional. The plumber was able to snake between the drain that overflows and the main sewer line out of the house. So, everything should be clean in the pipes between the overflowing drain and where it exits the house. Since this didn't fix the problem, I did what he next recommended, installed a studor vent behind the utility sink. Still didn't help. Two days ago, I purchased a 50ft auger and ran it into the main vent on the roof, but it didn't hit anything. I flushed the vent with the hose, but the basement toilet is still splashing.

What's next? Are these multiple different problems? Is it just bad plumbing in the house? Or is there a clog somewhere?

Thanks so much!

15 ft snake isn't gonna do it,if it only backs up when you are using your fixtures,its the main drain ,if it backs up without being used its the city,so rent a bigger snake from a hard ware store, vacuum out the toilet in the picture and snake from there....minimum size snake would be 3/8" in diameter by 50'-75' long go very slow,and you may have to goo in multiple times

About 50 ft (as the crow flies). We've already had 75% of the line cleaned out. We've had from just downstream of the utility sink (floor drain) - the floor drain is about halfway between the toilet to where the sewer line exits the house-and of course the whole sewer line to the street was cleaned.

Could I just open up the sink's drain next to the toilet as a first pass so I don't have to unseat the toilet? Or is that not worth the effort.

Well if the floor drain is closer to the pipe exiting the house go from there and empty the drum that way you have gone out as far as possible go slow,dont force itmove it forward and bakward as you going outif it starts to drain run some HOT water while snaking
then try the toilet,if it gurgles your pulling it

Back