Double Vanity Sink Gurgling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebandit8

Reaction score

Issue: Double vanity sink gurgling and not draining properly.

Background: I live in a town home and in our master bathroom we have double vanity sinks. A few weeks ago I noticed the right sink wasn't draining so I cleaned out the p trap. There was white gunk that was caked in there. That seemed to solve the issue. Flash forward to last week and I noticed the gurgling sound on the right side when using either left or right sink. Quick google search I deduced that it was possibly a ventilation issue causing it not to drain properly. The water eventually drains from both sink, but it's best to tackle the issue before it gets worse. The AC line also connects to the right p trap.
All the other sinks and toilets throughout the house do not have trouble draining or flushing.

Things I've tried:
  1. Cleaned p traps of left and right sink.
  2. Used Drano Max on both and ran hot water through it.
  3. Climbed onto roof to check vent of pipe and see if there are blockage visually and then spraying water down it.
  4. Checked AC line to make sure there are no clogs. dropped bleach pellet and ran warm water down the line. Saw water flow through line. No block.
  5. Visually inspect the pipe that connects back behind the wall, could not see any blockage. Tried to use a snake but would not bend and go in through pipe.
  6. With the left sink p trap taken out. I run hot water down the right sink and the water flows out the left pipe where the p trap is removed. I'd try to cover the pipe with my hand to let the water fill up and then move my hand and some large gunk came out. I did it 3-4 more times until there were no more debris that I could see.
  7. I've taken out the right sink p trap and put the left sink p trap back on. When I run water down the left sink, the water comes out the right sinks pipe where the trap was removed. Not as much gunk came out.
https://imgur.com/hwp0Zqd
Left P Trap
Right P Trap Off
Right P Trap On

I think I've done everything I can before calling a plumber. IF there are any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Issue: Double vanity sink gurgling and not draining properly.

Background: I live in a town home and in our master bathroom we have double vanity sinks. A few weeks ago I noticed the right sink wasn't draining so I cleaned out the p trap. There was white gunk that was caked in there. That seemed to solve the issue. Flash forward to last week and I noticed the gurgling sound on the right side when using either left or right sink. Quick google search I deduced that it was possibly a ventilation issue causing it not to drain properly. The water eventually drains from both sink, but it's best to tackle the issue before it gets worse. The AC line also connects to the right p trap.
All the other sinks and toilets throughout the house do not have trouble draining or flushing.

Things I've tried:
  1. Cleaned p traps of left and right sink.
  2. Used Drano Max on both and ran hot water through it.
  3. Climbed onto roof to check vent of pipe and see if there are blockage visually and then spraying water down it.
  4. Checked AC line to make sure there are no clogs. dropped bleach pellet and ran warm water down the line. Saw water flow through line. No block.
  5. Visually inspect the pipe that connects back behind the wall, could not see any blockage. Tried to use a snake but would not bend and go in through pipe.
  6. With the left sink p trap taken out. I run hot water down the right sink and the water flows out the left pipe where the p trap is removed. I'd try to cover the pipe with my hand to let the water fill up and then move my hand and some large gunk came out. I did it 3-4 more times until there were no more debris that I could see.
  7. I've taken out the right sink p trap and put the left sink p trap back on. When I run water down the left sink, the water comes out the right sinks pipe where the trap was removed. Not as much gunk came out.
Left P Trap
Right P Trap Off
Right P Trap On

I think I've done everything I can before calling a plumber. IF there are any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you!

if your snake is long enough you can get it from the common vent on the roof for those sinks......you can also try running your snake in reverse and bumping the trigger sometimes I put a small bend in the cable to have a better chance of dropping into the drain once your in the drain you would turn it to forward

if your snake is long enough you can get it from the common vent on the roof for those sinks......you can also try running your snake in reverse and bumping the trigger sometimes I put a small bend in the cable to have a better chance of dropping into the drain once your in the drain you would turn it to forward
Thank you for the reply

I have the ridgid power spinning snake tool. I believe its 25 ft long which should be long enough. I'll try snaking through the vent pipe on the roof tomorrow.

Also, what does running a snake in reverse and bumping a trigger mean? (DIY Novice)

I ended up calling a plumber to come. He cut the vent tube in the attic, snaked down the vent and unclogged it and everything is good to go! Learned a lot. Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the reply

I have the ridgid power spinning snake tool. I believe its 25 ft long which should be long enough. I'll try snaking through the vent pipe on the roof tomorrow.

Also, what does running a snake in reverse and bumping a trigger mean? (DIY Novice)
I don't think 25 ft will do it....it might be long enough thou I have a 50 ft cable in mine I would try removing one of the traps and run it in reverse bumping the trigger means pulling on drill trigger on then off like flicking a light switch on and off your last resort would be the vent put a bend in the cable sometimes that helps it fall into the drain

Back