Double kitchen sink drainage problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, gotcha. Do they have to be glue type connections for any particular reason? Also, what then would be the best way to route the dishwasher drainage that currently goes into the tailpiece that is connected to the metal drain pipe?

Thanks for your help!

Do they have to be glue type connections for any particular reason?
1] code, only 1 slip joint behind the weir of the trap
2] the barrel of the fitting is larger that that of the slip joint
3] cause thats the way the old master plumber who taught me said to do it
and the old grumpy master who taught him said to do it. lol

into the side of the disposal

Do they have to be glue type connections for any particular reason?
1] code, only 1 slip joint behind the weir of the trap
2] the barrel of the fitting is larger that that of the slip joint
3] cause thats the way the old master plumber who taught me said to do it
and the old grumpy master who taught him said to do it. lol

into the side of the disposal
Ok, makes sense. Hahah, those old grumpy mentors usually know what they’re talking about though :)

So there won’t be drainage issues for the dishwasher by running it’s drain hose uphill to the disposal?

Yes, if the metal drains are full of FOG and debris you can be sure that you will have problems with drainage.

Just for clarification for those non professional that may not know, "the reasons for the high loop are to prevent potential backflow of water in to the dishwasher and to prevent improper drainage of water.”

no it running up hill wont be a problem
it needs to loop up as high to the bottom of the counter as it can go,
the discharge pump will pump the water up out out, no problems
the loop will act as a trap to keep odor down
i usually tie them off to the sink clips

Ok, makes sense. Aside from that it doesn’t seem like there are any other solutions for the backup into the opposite sink besides probably clogs/restrictions in the main metal lines. Agree?

High loops are not meant to effect smell. They are approved by the code in some states in lieu of an air gap, so that if the sink basin were to back up it would have to be completely full BEFORE you breach the “high loop”. Nothing more, nothing less.

If it backs up.......Clear the drain lines. It’s not difficult.
Will do this week. I’ll probably just get a hand drill powered snake from Home Depot or something and try that...unless that’s a waste of time and money and I should do something different like jetting it? Is jetting something you can do yourself or does it usually require a pro?

Sorry, I grew up swinging a hammer not a pipe wrench lol

Last edited:
Generally plumbers and rooter guys have jetters. Check your local rental yard if they have one. Small jetter is what you need 1500 psi and 1.5 gallons per minute. Might be worth the 150 bucks if the plumber will warranty it.

If you’re going to snake it. Use a lot of hot water to help push stuff through.

Is that a chrome p-trap that you have the pvc slip nuts on? If so get a pvc tubular p-trap while you have everything
apart.

trap 1.jpg
Is that a chrome p-trap that you have the pvc slip nuts on? If so get a pvc tubular p-trap while you have everything
apart.
Looks to be a translucent trap. I can see the water level in it. I like it!:)
Except maybe for the ball type connection it appears to have.???

Last edited:
View attachment 18110
Looks to be a translucent trap. I can see the water level in it. I like it!:)
Except maybe for the ball type connection it appears to have.???

@Diehard @TomFOhio Yea, it's a translucent trap :) I liked the idea of being able to see what's going on in there (until it gets dirty at least), but it does use the ball-type connection.

Something else I noticed this morning was that it is about as close as you can get to the ≥ 2 pipe diameters of length to the vertical vent tube. Hopefully it's ok..?

@frodo @Diehard @RenewDave

Here’s a follow up question for ya: I picked up the pieces @frodo siggested and am going to use glue type sani tees, but am wondering if I can glue the thinner quick connect pipes to the thicker glue type tees?

It just seems that the glue type pieces I picked up are more heavy duty and I don’t want there to be issues with the thinner quick connect pipes...

you need to use the trap adapter that came with the ptrap that you picked up

if the see through trap had no trap adapter, you need to buy one, i would suggest a goesinta and not a goesonta

is that trap astm certified?

Not sure if it’s astm certified. I picked up some trap adapters, sanitary tees, the fenco pipe adapter and a y-shaped piece with a clean out plug. I’ll upload a pic of my final setup in the next day or two when I’m able to put it all together .

Latest posts

Back