Double kitchen sink drainage problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
75CE759F-65B8-4CD9-9C7F-1F6686EA963B.jpeg 524E54A8-DAF7-49DA-968E-8879F6C4F64A.jpeg @frodo Alright sir, here it is. I finally got the time to put it together. I’m thinking the vent is useless, but it’s not hurting anything so it’s staying lol

Also, I’m still getting water backup into both sinks when trying to drain a large amount of eater (i.e., when filling one side and popping the plug, the other sink starts to backup with water). I haven’t tried snaking the drain yet, but that’s next. If that doesn’t do it, I don’t know what will :/

Your drain is plugged. You need to run a snake through the kitchen drain all the way to the main tie in. Also the vent is not
useless. Once the drain is open you will see a big difference.

You can also go to a plumbing supply house and buy a disposal kit. It will have the piece
coming off the disposal and the correct tee like frodo suggested.

Also... just by looking at the pics you need to raise the dishwasher drain I"m assuming the black hose coming from the left and tied into the drain line after the trap. That hose should either be connected to an "air gap" or at least tied up to the bottom of the counter and then connected to the disposal "dishwasher connection" . Be sure to knock out the plastic plug inside that pipe on the disposal.

'm not even getting into the rest of your drain problems...:eek:

Also... just by looking at the pics you need to raise the dishwasher drain I"m assuming the black hose coming from the left and tied into the drain line after the trap. That hose should either be connected to an "air gap" or at least tied up to the bottom of the counter and then connected to the disposal "dishwasher connection" . Be sure to knock out the plastic plug inside that pipe on the disposal.

'm not even getting into the rest of your drain problems...:eek:
The black dish washer hose is fine as it is. It's looped up high and then connects to the disposal unit.:confused::confused:

Last edited:
91877330-530F-46F2-B455-DB72EC14735F.jpeg 40FDB74E-D8CE-46CC-A107-4259EA53D0B0.jpeg @frodo Hahah, my bad! Ok, I think I got it now (see pics). I used the connector on the pipe from the garbage disposal bc the flange in every other pipe I could find was too large for the rubber connection point on the disposal. I had a tube leftover from the disposal kit I bought that had a smaller flange, so I just used what I had to put that horizontal pipe together.

@TomFOhio I snaked the drain line and didn’t get any massive chunks out but it does seem to be flowing much better.

Do you guys think it’s useless to pour FOG dissolving chemicals down the drain line in an attempt to help the process?

The steel galvanized line below your work is bad. Just change it. No sense in running a snake. Snakes hurt cocky plumbers and mange homeowners. Throw it away and never use it. You can buy the parts 6 times over for what most service techs charge for snaking. But go to 2” pvc all the way to next biggest line. And yeah studor vent is in wrong place. Good luck

The house was originally built in 1916, but I don’t know if or when the lines were replaced or snaked/jetted. I’m assuming you mean to snake or jet the main line by going down through the metal pipe coming up out of the floor? Is this just to ensure the lines are clear so that disposal waste doesn’t easily get caught on existing junk and clog the lines?
I've done a lot of work on a charming house that was built about the same time and had some gawd awful drain lines in the crawl space. Just Rube Goldberg setups, long stretches of pipe nearly horizontal. I've finally replaced most of it with ABS at 1/4" per foot and the chronic problems went away. Good Lord the build-up of gelatinous, uh, debris in those lines was something to see. I tossed it all in the steel recycling dumpster at the local transfer station, one hopes that stuff gets turned into gaseous by products.

Back