Doing an old remodel...found and interesting device in gas pipe line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it's inside some sort of union nut.
Picture from another angle.
was it near the meter?
will it come out?

View attachment 17648 Has anyone came across a pipe plug like this.

Hello David Ames,

There is no pipe fitting that is made like the photo that You attached to your message - what your photo shows is something that has been pushed into the pipe itself - not connected to it.

As Mr_David has identified there is half of a pipe Union on the end of the pipe and if it is a 1/2" pipe I am guessing that some idiot has pushed a Schrader type valve [Car tyre type] down into the pipe to either `Cap it` [!] or to do a `Do it yourself` pressure test [!].

I have not checked the diameter of the bottom rubber `grommet` like end of the valve sheath on one of these car tyre Shrader valves [because that part is not visible when the valve is fitted to a car tyre] but I know that they are bigger that they look in the screenshot that I have attached - I am just guessing that it might be a tight fit inside a 1/2" iron pipe ?

Also there are MANY types of `Shrader valves` - used for a multitude of operations - I guessed the car tyre type only because of the Rubber `grommet` like end piece - however it could be another type of these valves that just happens to also have a rubber surround or circular end which fitted tightly into the pipe ?

I am hoping to be able to attach a screenshot of a car tyre type Shrader valve to show how it is possible that the rubber `grommet` like end of the valve sheath might be what is `Sealing` the end of the pipe [!].

Whatever has previously happened You have NOT got a correctly capped off pipe and if it is still a `Live` GAS pipe You need to get it capped off correctly.

Although this situation may have existed for years [?] if I am correct the rubber outer sheath of a Car tyre type Shrader valve [or any other rubber `seal`] will be deteriorating over time and could cause a serious Gas leak with the obvious Dangers that would present.

I await other Members replies with interest.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• SHRADER VALVE - TYRE TYPE VALVE - SCREENSHOT.JPG
    SHRADER VALVE - TYRE TYPE VALVE - SCREENSHOT.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I know I am way late to this thread but I am going with what is known as a “football”. They are a rubber expanding plug that takes a special key to install and remove. These are installed by the gas company for people who are delinquent on their bills or the home has a bad leak or something that the gas company has determined is unsafe. Either way, it’s to prevent a homeowner/tenant from turning on the gas.

Latest posts

Back