Does this tool exist for removing nipples?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vineyridge

Reaction score
I have a frost free hydrant which broke off at the place where the nipple exits the top pipe. I believe that the diameter is 1 or 1 1/2 inches--don't have it in front of me right now.

I've been looking for something that would go into the nipple, lock there and allow me to extract the part in the pipe. Almost everything that I've found is a single piece of ridged steel that would jam into the hole and be turned to get the nipple out. Which is okay, I guess, but I've wondered by someone hasn't produced a tool that would work like a crescent wrench, but with long, tapered jaws that were jagged on the outside that one could press down into the hole, tighten, and turn.

Am I making sense?

What do the pros recommend for extracting a broken off nipple when the diameter is larger than regular pipe but smaller than drains?

BTW, are there any frost free hydrants that are made in the USA? What would you guys recommend?

There seems to be a few types of "Internal Pipe Wrenches". Just Google them.

I too don't have a clear picture of what you are referring to.

There are both frost free wall hydrants as well as frost free ground hydrants.

I would expect that the ground type work like the fire hydrants do. When open, the drain hole is blocked. When closed, the drain hole opens and hopefully drains the barrel.

Not sure what you mean by, "extracting a broken off nipple when the diameter is larger than regular pipe but smaller than drains?"

Attachments

• 19C568_AS01.jpg
    19C568_AS01.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 1VUV1_AS02.jpg
    1VUV1_AS02.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Pictures please!
Do you want pictures of the broken nipple or pictures of the tool that I have in mind?

I've been looking at the internal wrenches for a while, and they all seem to me to be less than ideal. I know the ones like the first photo above are made in China these days and many have been found to break first time using--i.e, they are shoddy. The vast majority of them are for 3/4" and smaller. The second photo is of a Ridgid one, and it is probably the best choice, but I think my pipe is smaller than the Ridgid tool is made for.

The tool I'm envisioning would have a fixed lower jaw and an upper jaw that opened parallel to the lower one through its entire range. I think the upper jaw of crescent wrenches works that way, but one could adapt a vise-grip mechanism as well, I would think.

I'm looking for a ground type frost free hydrant that doesn't use black iron for its nipple.

Last edited:
You made no mention of the fact that you were aware of various types of internal grip wrenches.

I think one of the reasons for a request for pictures was to see exactly what you were trying to remove as well as from what, exactly.

I could have sworn I included the web site.??? Here it is.
Says, "Country of Origin USA - Country of Origin is subject to change."

https://www.grainger.com/product/PR...19C568?opr=APPD&pbi=19C568&analytics=altItems

The way the crescent wrenches work it doesn't offer any mechanical advantage for getting a substantial grip. Maybe you should sketch what you have in mind and if it's a good idea some company may grab it.:D

I'd venture to say there are ground type frost free hydrant that don't use black iron for its nipple.Which one do you have. There are quite a few.

Pictures of everything you are looking at that used to be all attached together.
Pictures of the part stuck inside another part.
Picture of the hydrant you have now.
Everything, as though we were there with you.

To better judge what you have, and what could work better.
And to help extract something from some other thing, both of which we can’t see to advise about.

Relative to "large screw extractor", we have yet to get a clear picture of the problem. But he did say,
"Almost everything that I've found is a single piece of ridged steel that would jam into the hole and be turned to get the nipple out." Whatever that means

He said, "I have a frost free hydrant which broke off at the place where the nipple exits the top pipe."
Not sure what that means.

Relative the question, "I'm looking for a ground type frost free hydrant that doesn't use black iron for its nipple.", I ask, what size hydrant? I assume he talking about a post hydrant. Not sure what the "top pipe is". Most of the ones I see all have a bronze hose adapter connected to the head. Could he be referring to the riser pipe? Or maybe a ground hydrant.
I see Woodford and ProFlo that are made in the USA.

EDIT: Just realized he made mention of looking for a ground hydrant but not sure if the original post was a post hydrant.

Last edited:
There exists a four-jaw internal expanding tool for removing pipe nipples. I'm not where I can take photos today.

Search for internal pipe wrench and several other designs from Rigid, Husky, et al, will show several other designs.

If it's where a hacksaw blade in a holder can be inserted, I've found cutting nearly through in three places usually gets it out easier.

jack vines, whose dad was a union pipefitter for forty years.

Latest posts

Back