Does Home Depot usually have better prices than Lowes?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diy

Reaction score
For the same product, it looks like Home Depot has better prices, is that generally true?

Or does Lowes match prices with Home Depot?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 3.18.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 3.18.28 PM.png
    304.1 KB · Views: 11
They both match prices for identical item numbers.

I usually go to the closest store to me.

Fuel and time play into my equation when price shopping.

TW is correct for the price matching (at least at Home Depot - one of my kids worked there) but there are specific categories where one may be priced significantly better. I just did some electrical work where the Lowes SD QO panel and breakers were much lower at Lowes (no pun).

We have two Lowes stores and three HD stores in my county, so my choice is to shop at HD. Finding the store with the right inventory is the top concern, so I order everything online for store pickup. That's when the surprise factor kicks in, with the store telling you that a picker could not find the part you need. Both stores are aggressive about price matching, but nowadays, they only match if the other store has inventory. As an ex-New Yorker, I am pretty good at B.S., but lying is not something I like to regularly do. Not being a professional, my biggest worry is not having the right part for a job. Thus, as long as the price is reasonable, I'll bulk order from supplyhouse.com, amazon.com, and other online stores well in advance of actually needing a part. Each time I visit a big box store, I'll scour for parts I may need. I stocked up on Korky flappers at Lowes recently, since the Fluidmasters do not hold up well.

I have a Lowe's one mile East, and a Home Depot one mile North. If I need something, I will usually go to Home Depot. For larger items or appliances, I will shop at Lowe's, then price match at Home Depot.

My experience is that they are pretty even on pricing. Home Depot seems to have a broader selection of hardware type things. And Lowes has a broader selection of designer things, such as light fixtures, towel rods, shower curtains, tile board, paneling, doors and trim, and kitchen cabinet stuff

Home Depot is more similar to an old Lumber yard, and Lowes reminds me of the older Plumbing display Centers, Decorator, and Kitchen wholesale shops.

Last edited:
Home Depot for price and selection on almost everything in the northern illinois area. Lowes was only better for window blinds. We also have Menards so Home Depos has to compete there as well.

Back