DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THE PLUMBER PUT THIS DRAIN HOSE HERE ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garwatt

Reaction score
IMG_1706.JPG Cold water line goes to the electric Hot Water Tank. Just after the shut off valve you can see a drain line that goes to a open drain on the floor. It is continuously dripping water. Why is the drain their is there a purpose? Should it be leaking water out?

the drain is so you can drain that pipe but it shouldn't be leaking.....looks like pex if this was recently done have hime back to change the valve if not use a pex cap or ball valve to stop the leak

This particular valve was mention a time or to here before. Something I have never used and probably not code here.

The ball valve has a relief valve in it that is another way to deal with thermal expansion
here is except from link below.
Another solution for the thermal expansion issue is the lead free combination ball and relief valve (LFBRV).

http://www.waterheaterexplosions.com/R_Watts_BRV.html

Thank you for the prompt response and answer to my question.
This particular valve was mention a time or to here before. Something I have never used and probably not code here.

The ball valve has a relief valve in it that is another way to deal with thermal expansion
Another solution for the thermal expansion issue is the lead free combination ball and relief valve (LFBRV).

Thank you for the prompt response and reply.

Sorry, just one more question. I read the valve is supposed to expel water when heat expansion occurs during heating so does the relief valve inside spring loaded ? My WATTS valve just flows water out like a tap.

Sorry, just one more question. I read the valve is supposed to expel water when heat expansion occurs during heating so does the relief valve inside spring loaded ? My WATTS valve just flows water out like a tap.
Sorry for not getting back to you on that. Not really sure . never used one.
If there was it would probably be a very small spring.

If you have a relief valve on your water heater then that type of ball valve going to the W.H. is not needed. I'm in the same
boat here as I have never seen one like that around these parts.

watts
Series BRV Combination Ball Valve and Relief Valves are used in commercial and residential applications on water heater installations. It is for applications that require a means to shut off the water supply to the water heater and for providing protection from excess water pressure caused by thermal expansion. Pressure Rated: 400psi. Relief Valve Pressure Settings: 75, 80, 100 or 125psi (5.2, 5.5, 6.9 or 8.6 bar).

should have the rating stamped on the valve

Latest posts

Back