Dodgy pipework - water leak waiting to happen?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason921

Reaction score
I've had a radiator installed, unfortunately it is larger than the previous one, which is completely my fault. It has caused a bit of a headache and it is beyond the point of returning it.

I had it installed using a plumbing service and their work was less than satisfactory. Since it was installed, the heating system has been making all sorts of strange noise and recently the pipe has begun leaking. The radiator has two lock valves.

It is quite an unsightly pipe, but I was happy to let it slide as it was cheap and the pipework is by the front door, so it is usually concealed by shoes.

Is this pipework a disaster waiting to happen?

Attachments

• 16120098048723135997506054074345.jpg
    16120098048723135997506054074345.jpg
    889.6 KB · Views: 33
They used the original hole , could they have moved the radiator to the left. I think those are compression fittings they are not normally used solder, pro press, would have been the way to go if the unit was to big they may not have been able to move It is there is there an air vent on it was the system bleed out after instal:

There are stairs to the left and a door to the right so it couldn't be moved. Yeah the system was bled after install. The radiator is a bypass radiator so it has two lockshields. The pipes in the house now occasionally bang or knock when the heating is on.

The water leak is very gradual at the moment. Just need to keep a bit paper towel under it. Looking at getting the work redone.

You can have it Fast, Cheap, or Right.
Pick any Two; all Three at once, that's just a dream.

The only thing really dodgy looking is that they used pipe wrenches and marred the brass nuts all up. Should have used crescent wrenches. In situations like that where you can’t move the pipe from the hole, you gotta use elbows that’s what they’re made for.

It sucks but little leaks happen with any type of fitting sometimes even when the best plumbers do the job. I wouldn’t call it a disaster waiting to happen unless that leak gets sealed up. The manner it’s piped is fine, just unsightly. As for the noise hopefully they can purge the system again as it’s likely just air moving through the system

That tiny leak might seal itself up in a few days or weeks.
The crud suspended in the water will usually eventually fill up the small opening that is dripping.
Yes, a big crescent type wrench or correct size of open end wrench would not have mangled those compression nuts.
It would have engaged the nuts with a firm grip on their flat spots.
The type of wrench they used might also have squeezed the nuts slightly out of round, which might explain your leak.

Back