Do plumbers bite?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what makes you think non union plumbers do not pay attention to detail or do a good job ?

what makes being a union member, you a better plumber ?

Nothing.
It just seems that union work seems to be 'deliberate'.....time and motion type of thing. This does not imply in any way that the end result is not the same.

Nothing.
It just seems that union work seems to be 'deliberate'.....time and motion type of thing. This does not imply in any way that the end result is not the same.

LOl....WTH does the union have to do with the way plumbing is installed ?

it is installed, plumb,level,square, with wiped joints

i do not see any reference to union or non union

does the **** fit together different ?

LOl....WTH does the union have to do with the way plumbing is installed ?

it is installed, plumb,level,square, with wiped joints

i do not see any reference to union or non union

does the **** fit together different ?

You are correct. Plumbing work is probably not a good example.

Check out some recent incidents in Boston, MA where politicians 'encouraged' developers to use union labor. Boston's Mayor union leanings also came under scrutiny.

The retail store remodel job had to switch to union labor when the non-union workers' trucks and equipment were vandalized and the non-union workers would no longer come to work. Use of union workers increased the price....funny the union company's higher price did not price themselves out of the job in the long run.

There is graft and corruption in any big city government. Look at the present administration over the last eight years. When you get into NY Metro, Boston, Philly or Chicago,you have to make deals or you don't do business there. The other is called racketeering and all should be locked up.

I saw plenty of what you are describing on docks. It is just how business is (was) done. Either business has gone off-shore or illegals are hired.

try and explain what you mean, this intrigues me

1. Boston, MA newspaper did a piece on a union bricklayer. Union guidelines specified that a bricklayer should lay a specific number of bricks per hour. This bricklayer layed the hourly quota in 45 minutes so he spent the final 15 minutes of every hour reading the newspaper or reading a book.
2. I worked in a union meat packing plant. I told my foreman that I had to use the men's room. I went and came back. My foreman asked what I was doing. I said I went and now I am back. My foreman said that the union guidelines specified that a toilet break was 10 minutes and I had only used 3 minutes so he told me to get off the production floor for another 7 minutes.
3. My friend's brother was a union carpenter working on a large shopping mall remodel. He was assigned to put up drywall partitions in the backroom storage area of one of the mall stores. The union supervisor checked the drywall screw spacing and found that the carpenter had placed the screws 8 inches apart instead of the union guideline of 6 inches. The supervisor brought this to the carpenter's attention. The carpenter said that he would put in more screws between the existing screws so that the spacing would be 4 inches....even better than 6 inches. The supervisor said that this would not be in compliance with the union guideline and told the carpenter to remove all the screws and drywall and start the whole job over.
4. I slid a book case in my office a few inches. Somebody walking by said that I should not be doing that as it was a union job and if a union person saw me a grievance would be filed.
5. I had a part time job in an ice cream shop. I happened to be in the back room area when an ice cream delivery was made. The driver brought the ice cream from his truck and left it inside the back door. I was busy and asked if he could move the ice cream over a couple of feet. He told me he was union and per the union guidelines he was to put the ice cream where he did and was not allowed to touch it after that.

My union job is not union at another location outside the US. (Greenland)
Wages are 60% union wages, much more than 40 hour work weeks is mandatory,
Cross training has led to consolidating shops reducing employee numbers, benefits
are non negotiable(here you go,take it or leave it) subject to change at managements discretion.
There is no question that organized labor went way to far in the 70's when about 30%
of labor force was organized with periodic work stoppages for the hell of it and lifetime medical and pension demands. Payback is a ***** . Good news is Ive yet to see a plumbing robot or plumbing kiosks at the mall.
By the way i am a half member (half dues) and receive no union benefiys except for our
Man negotiating on our behalf but , i will tell you, I have worked both sides of this fence
And I will take the union any day. Hat is off to all those makimg a living on their own.

Latest posts

Back