Do I really need a sump pump?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpoune

Reaction score
sump.jpgHi,
I recently decided to cover my sump pit properly to ensure lower radon levels. I therefore decided to replace my pedestal pump with a submersible pump since it was easier to cover. I barely ever seen water in the pit in the 20 years since we've purchased (new) that house.

Now, I wonder why do I have a return pipe to the sewer as well as a pump. Also, given the return pipe to the sewer, should my sump pump be set to pump when the water level is lower that the return pipe or the pump is just there in case the return pipe can't suffice? Any help is appreciated!

Take some pics showing a wider area.

What do you mean by “return pipe to the sewer?”

Hi,
I just closed and seal my sump pit... Maybe I can explain... the pipe with the towel on the bottom left side is coming from the weeping tile. Then the pipe at the top right corner, with the 90 degree angle on the left is returning to the sewer... or is it the floor drains out?

I believe the one with the back water valve is from the floor drains. How many floor drains are in the basement. In some areas we hook one drain to sanitary and one drain to storm

Latest posts

Back