Distribution Box

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th111447

Reaction score
My distribution box's gravel is clogged up. I've tried raking it and it is still not allowing the first trough to allow the water thru. Is the only option to shovel out the gravel and replace it with new? Can a septic company just suck all the gravel out with the pump hose or would they shovel it out by hand as well?

No, the leach field is fine. My system is aerobic and the last stop is a d-box and the water enters trough 1 and should filter up thru gravel and then water comes into t-slots to a second trough where it exits into the leach field. The water is not filtering up thru the gravel and is exiting trough 1 via the overflow slots. As a result the water is not filtered thru the gravel before exiting to leach lines. I assume the gravel is so dirty it's not allowing the water to filter thru. Does this make sense?

Yes, it makes perfect sense now. It is just that I am not familiar with the design.

Hopefully, someone here is familiar with your system and will help you.

I called a septic company and they indicated this is called an upflow filter. They said the gravel needs cleaned by taking a pressure washer and rake to clean the gravel. They wanted $150 to do it but I'm going to try it. If I can't get it to work then I'll call them. Any tips for how to effective clean this gravel? Seems like it would be easier to just replace the gravel versus trying to clean it.

I called a septic company and they indicated this is called an upflow filter.

They said the gravel needs cleaned by taking a pressure washer and rake to clean the gravel.

They wanted $150 to do it but I'm going to try it. If I can't get it to work then I'll call them. Any tips for how to effective clean this gravel? Seems like it would be easier to just replace the gravel versus trying to clean it.

It uses aggregate(s) as a final filter before releasing the effluent. Seems to be no need to change the aggregate, it is simply cleaned by pressure washing (keep mouth closed during process).

There are several designs and if within a septic tank, might have to be pumped to clean it effectively.

Go Here - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...erobic septic upflow filter&sc=0-19&sp=-1&sk= - for illustrations of differing designs.

It might be best to have them do it first and watch as if there are any problem(s), they should catch it. Then get brave... ;)

Last edited:
I was brave last night. I took the pressure washer and rake and spent about 1 hour cleaning it. Then leveled the gravel. It appeared to be working. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it continues to work and the water color clears up. Thanks for your feedback.

:mad: DARN! :mad:

I bet you didn't think to take pictures?

Have never seen one. Is it readily accessible or do you have to dig?

Let us know how it does... ;)

Well, I'm back. It worked well for about two months and then clogged up again. I noticed I'm getting some effluent in the clarifier. I'm not sure if those are making there way to the upflow filter and clogging it or if the upflow filter has too much accumulated solids under the crates. I'm focused now on why I have solids in the clarifier. I think there making there way over to the upflow. Any suggestions appreciated.

septic systems are nothing to play with. See if the health dept will come in and make an assessment.

Back