Disposal only draining when turned on

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efnx

Reaction score
Recently replaced sink and garbage disposal that is only draining when turned on. The garbage disposal is brand new so no food / clogs there, and I’ve disassembled the P trap drain assembly twice, which is all clean. After a brief period of running water, it will start to pool in the sink and will only drain when the unit is turned on.

The disposal output is a few inches higher than the main drain as it should be, so hopefully no issues there. This is also in an island with a vent loop as pictured. Pulling my hair out with this one, any ideas / advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

661596F2-0274-4AE6-9029-9A095EBCDB25_1_105_c.jpeg
90696C30-D321-44EB-BD60-86D0D8EB8E0C_1_105_c.jpeg

Should be vented via the vent loop stack behind, like this

021286020.jpg

most people put things down a garburator that should not go
  • Coffee Grounds. This is one of the biggest no-no's when it comes to a garbage disposal or any drainage system. ...
  • Grease. ...
  • Eggshells in Disposal. ...
  • Onion Skins. ...
  • Potato Peels in a Garbage Disposal. ...
  • Hard Foods. ...
  • Dry Expandable Foods.
  • any thing fibrous, like top of bananas
  • stuff from the garden , leaves, twigs , stalks ,

• Coffee Grounds. This is one of the biggest no-no's when it comes to a garbage disposal or any drainage system.
I know my water authority, if they could, would ban all ISE's, etc. from the face of the earth (at least in our county) for obvious reasons but what's so insidious about coffee grounds?

I know my water authority, if they could, would ban all ISE's, etc. from the face of the earth (at least in our county) for obvious reasons but what's so insidious about coffee grounds?
I was a plumbing inspector , and i did ban all garburators. the municipality also passed a composting garbage pick up to recycle all that stuff that went down the drain. I always hated thanksgiving blocked garburator calls. coffee grounds are excellent in a garden

I learned the hard way 40 years ago... the only thing that goes into my garbage disposal is whatever gets through the fine-mesh strainer on top of it.

As a test I ran 15 pounds of crawfish down my 3/4 ISE garbage disposal.

No problem, it’s 2” pvc with a 2” pvc ptrap then dumps into 3” pvc above a toilet. The 2” is only 3’ long, so it’s a short run.

Good plumbing design makes all the difference.

• Coffee Grounds. This is one of the biggest no-no's when it comes to a garbage disposal or any drainage system. ...
  • Grease. ...
  • Eggshells in Disposal. ...
  • Onion Skins. ...
  • Potato Peels in a Garbage Disposal. ...
  • Hard Foods. ...
  • Dry Expandable Foods.
  • any thing fibrous, like top of bananas
  • stuff from the garden , leaves, twigs , stalks ,

I have a friend whose elderly father was disappointed that his garbage disposal broke after he fed it chicken bones.

Latest posts

Back