DISHWASHER SMELL HORRID!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amk0417

Reaction score
Ok so a little while back my kitchen sink got clogged and while trying to unclog the water started coming out of the black pipe which at the time the dishwasher drain hose was just inserted into the black pipe. So we capped the black pipe ran the DW drain hose to a vent on top of the sink then to the garbage disposal. Worked as far as no flooding under the sink anymore but then the smell started. Bought a new garbage disposal, bought a new dishwasher. Still have smell.

Attachments

• 20210610_030347.jpg
    20210610_030347.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
Take a picture of the all piping under the sink. The current pic isn’t showing enough.

You realize that after washing dishes you need to turn the disposal on and rinse out the garbage disposal or it’s going to stink.

I always forget about running the dishwasher to the GD. Mainly cause I hate that route. People want it so I do it, but blah on that in my opinion. Blah on garbage disposals period in my opinion. Put your garbage in a garbage can and dishwasher water in the trap.
There I said my piece.

A few neighborhoods here the sewage treatment/water provider prohibits garbage disposals.

No way for them to know unless your lateral has problems. If they find it greased up, the bill you for the repairs. On new construction disposals are prohibited.

These neighborhoods have a dedicated lift station and each house has a settling tank. It’s just a 75gal pump basin with a gravity inlet and outlet, no pump.

I found one that the outlet of the tank wasn’t ever connected and for a year the front yard acted as a drain field.

It eventually slicked over and the area became a cesspool.

Took me 6 hrs to remediate the area and place new soil......

I always forget about running the dishwasher to the GD. Mainly cause I hate that route. People want it so I do it, but blah on that in my opinion. Blah on garbage disposals period in my opinion. Put your garbage in a garbage can and dishwasher water in the trap.
There I said my piece.
I hated the GD when I moved into my home. Stinky, disgusting, and I never used it. So it was a no-brainer when I did a kitchen countertop remodel last year to get rid of the GD and have them re-do all the plumbing down there. Bonus is there is more room for storage under the sink too.

The ones that never get used are the ones that stink the worst. Turn it on and wash it out everyday solves that problem, but so does removing it.

Latest posts

Back