Dishwasher/Sink Drainage Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stayencouraged

Reaction score
I'm renting right now, and I am doubtful that my landlord will help, so I'm asking you guys for some advice.

My dishwasher keeps flooding post-wash. I'm also having drainage issues with the sink.

Water in the sink builds up, I run the disposal, the water goes down, and rushes up violently when the disposal is turned-off.

The dishwasher's under warranty still, and I've had their certified local techs come out and replace parts in the dishwasher that handle the passing of the waste water, so I'm confident the issue lies with the plumbing setup between the dishwasher and the sink.

The dishwasher's drainage tube (I don't know what it's really called) sits to the left of the sink, and it runs over to the sink's drainage tube as shown here.

For a few months in a row, I'd take the dishwasher out, and manually flush the drainage tube from it, but I got tired of doing that. Now, I have to manually vacuum the drainage hole in the dishwasher as well as the kitchen sink each time I run the dishwasher, and I just can't take it anymore.

I have no plumbing experience.

I've tried duct taping "UP" the drainage tube that runs from the dishwasher to the garbage disposal in a manner that makes the sinks drainage work a little harder to make it down to the dishwasher but whatever I've done seems to have made matters worse.

Any advice? Thanks in-advance for your time and consideration.

Last edited:
1st post a coupleof clear pic of inside you sink cabinet dishwasher drain hose sink drain pipes
just by your descriptiin sounds like your drain after the sink is clogged
you would need access to the drain from the sink cabinet or basement
Most likeley you will needto snake it

1st post a coupleof clear pic of inside you sink cabinet dishwasher drain hose sink drain pipes
just by your descriptiin sounds like your drain after the sink is clogged
you would need access to the drain from the sink cabinet or basement
Most likeley you will needto snake it
Also if you renting its the landlords reponsability to make this repairthis could be considered a health issue so yoyr lsndlord would have to act on it

I'm a plumbing novice (but anxious to learn); what do you mean by a couple of pics inside the sink cabinet dishwasher drain hose....

Are you asking me to disconnect the drain hose from the sink drain and take pictures of what the disconnected dishwasher drain hose looks like?

Just trying to make sure I'm understanding you clearly.

If so, I know maintenance is necessary with pretty much all things mechanical in life, but should I need to keep cleaning that drain hose upwards of two times a month, which is what I was doing at one point.

Perhaps I'm jumping ahead of myself, so please clarify, per my question above, and thanks for your time again. :)

Post some clear pics of everything in the sink cabinet, close up, far away, different angles.

Also, it seems as though you only have a single bowl sink, is that correct?

All your problems are likely from a clogged drain line, in the drain pipes in the building, not in the sink cabinet.
Your dishwasher is flooding because the drain water has nowhere to go, and the dishwasher drain is plugging up for the same reason.

When you run the disposal, it is acting like a pump, and pushing backed up drain water up into the vent pipe which runs from the back of the sink cabinet, up to the roof.
Because it wants to push the water down the drain, but the drain is already full of trapped water, from a clog or partial clog, somewhere downstream.
When the disposal turns off, the water comes rushing downhill back out of the vent, back into your sink.

Your landlord has to fix this, or you can tell him you will hire a plumber, and deduct the cost from your next rent payment.

I assume @Geofd wasn't aware of the picture you already posted of under the sink((with a link tied into some text). So I'm posting it directly here.

Don't know why you would tape that dishwater hose as you did. It's suppose to loop up as high as possible under that cabinet. That's not you problem though.
I agree with Geofd as far as blockage in your drain line AFTER the sink, since you are experiencing drainage problems with the sink.

One suggestion...I see you have an AAV(Air Admittance Valve) after the trap, as you should, however, it is mounted too low. The AAV should be removed and raised to a point as high as possible under the cabinet while still being able to replace it, if the need ever came up.

Although it may not be your problem but it certainly could contribute to it. Especially when that disposal kicks in and likely surcharging that drain line and forcing that AAV closed when it should be open providing venting.
So raise the AAV and add a cleanout tee in there, which will allow you to snake that drain line.

Or I should say get the landlord to get a plumber who should do the same.
0d43969104e55f74752c0136229af4f9.png

Last edited:
In fact, that's a strange looking arrangement that's partially out of sight, behind the disposal. I assume there's a p-trap but even so, it shouldn't be dropping before entering the vented drain line.

I also did not follow the text link to the good under sink pic.

Yes, the white drain hose should be supported high on the left side of the cabinet.

Meanwhile, that will not solve the blocked drain line, which needs to be snaked out.

And that trap is close to an S trap, and yes the AAV needs to be raised up much higher on a riser.

There might not even be a trap back there, behind the disposal.

That whole $hitpile needs to be rebuilt.

There might not even be a trap back there, behind the disposal.

That whole $hitpile needs to be rebuilt.
Crossed my mind also.
Something else the LANDLORDS PLUMBER needs to take care of. It may have been the landlord who did that work. Or a tenant.;)

Back