Dishwasher Sink Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brakerclimb

Reaction score
I installed a new dishwasher in which the dishwasher drain hose connects to an air gap branch tee. The second air gap branch then connects to the PVC Tee on the sink drain tail pipe. The tee on the sink drain is 1/2-inch diameter. The problem is that when the dishwasher pumps discharge water from the unit, water comes out of the air gap assembly spilling onto the sink and counter top. There is no clog in any of the hoses and air gap assembly, as I made sure of this by inspection and removal of the hoses, air gap and dishwasher hose. Is there an issue with size of the tee on the sink tail piece? Thanks for any help you may provide.

Why not loop the drain hose high on the underside of the cabinet, bypassing the airgap, and mounting it directly to the tee on the sink tail piece?

Why not loop the drain hose high on the underside of the cabinet, bypassing the airgap, and mounting it directly to the tee on the sink tail piece?
Thank you for your reply. I read that a high-loop is not recommended, where it can be avoided and that an air gap is preferred over a high loop, especially when there is no garbage disposal involved.

Maybe try a different air gap that does not spit.

Otherwise the high loop has been used for decades.

But maybe your code requires the air gap, will your job be inspected?

If there is a new hole in the sink deck that you don’t need, you can put a soap pump in there, or just a hole filler plug.

Maybe try a different air gap that does not spit.

Otherwise the high loop has been used for decades.

But maybe your code requires the air gap, will your job be inspected?

If there is a new hole in the sink deck that you don’t need, you can put a soap pump in there, or just a hole filler plug.

Thank you much for your suggestion regarding an air gap without a split tee. I will search for such model of an air gap. I do believe the local codes do not allow a high-loop with non-sink food disposal installations.

I said an air gap that does not “spit”, did not say split.

If you won’t be inspected, a high loop should work fine.

Here in WI, we have to use air gaps, or trapped stand pipes, so I feel your pain.

Sounds like you have it hooked up correctly. When it's spitting out water, that means there's a clog somewhere. If its not in the air gap, or the hoses connecting it, it's your sink drain. Newer dishwashers can drain with more force than older ones, so it might be exposing something that wasn't a problem before.

Latest posts

Back