Dishwasher Drain Hose Extension

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim D

Reaction score
I am hooking up a dishwasher in my kitchen and the 6ft corrugated drain hose that is attached to the dishwasher is about a foot or so too short. I have thought about replacing the factory hose with a longer one but where it is attached it seemed to be sealed and I’d rather not tamper with it. I was going to attached a black rubber hose with clamp rings which seems like it would work but the the drain piece that branches from the bottom of the sink is 7/8” and I can find a hose that has a 1” or less diameter with a 7/8” inside diameter. I can post pics of where the drain hose connects to the dishwasher if needed but I am looking for a solution to extend the hose with the least amount of potentials for leaks. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• E4B8CF3E-5E65-44B9-8150-BA1CF5F7E546.jpeg
    E4B8CF3E-5E65-44B9-8150-BA1CF5F7E546.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
ct18 ihave see them done that way......I had to install a vaccum breaker on a couple because for some reason they wouldn't drain but after installing the vb it worked fine

We used to extend them with 1/2" or 3/4" copper pipe as a coupling with hose clamps. Dishwasher hose would connect to black rubber hose whatever the length you need.
I have very little experience with this so I just want to make sure I understand correctly. You would connect a copper pipe coupling going from the tailpiece to connect to the rubber hose using clamps to secure the connection?

they make dishwasher drain hose at home depot you would need a (barbed adapter)to fit inside the drain hose on the dishwasher and the one you get from home depot it looks like a small radiator hose...you may have to make the drain hose hole a little bigger (in your cabinet)hose clamp the connections together loop the hose going into the drain as high as possible you can get a plastic clip for pipe that fits your hose and screw it up as high as possible that will keep the dirty water from draining back into the dishwasher

You don't need a barbed adapter. They're usually made of thicker material than just a short piece of copper tube and can cause restriction in flow.
The end of the dishwasher hose is designed to fit onto the smaller nipple of the air gap ( 5/8" ) or directly to a disposal nipple ( 7/8" )

All you need is:
a short piece of 1/2" copper tube ( 5/8" OD )
5/8 ID drain hose
hose clamps.

Or a https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Dishwasher-Disposal-Connection-C7983C/205153935
or do a search for dishwasher drain hose adapter. some come with a barbed nipple

I was just looking at something online and just realized some dishwasher manufactures drain hoses are not all the same.
do you have a photo of the end of you hose that you want to extend. Not the end connected to dishwasher.

You don't need a barbed adapter. They're usually made of thicker material than just a short piece of copper tube and can cause restriction in flow.
The end of the dishwasher hose is designed to fit onto the smaller nipple of the air gap ( 5/8" ) or directly to a disposal nipple ( 7/8" )

All you need is:
5/8 ID drain hose
hose clamps.

Or a https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Dishwasher-Disposal-Connection-C7983C/205153935
or do a search for dishwasher drain hose adapter. some come with a barbed nipple

I was just looking at something online and just realized some dishwasher manufactures drain hoses are not all the same.
do you have a photo of the end of you hose that you want to extend. Not the end connected to dishwasher.

All you need is:
5/8 ID drain hose
hose clamps.

Thank you so much. I actually went to Home Depot before seeing this and this is exactly what I did. This forum has been so helpful. Thanks for all of your responses everyone! Sink is up and running with no leaks knock on wood.

Can you help me understand this? If I disconnect my [too-short] hose from the garbage disposal, connect it to the length of radiator hose from the auto store as shown in your diagram, how would I connect the radiator hose to the garbage disposal? Can I buy an adaptor that will fit on the disposal nozzle and the radiator hose? Will I need another piece of copper tube and clamps for that joint? --Jean

Can you help me understand this? If I disconnect my [too-short] hose from the garbage disposal, connect it to the length of radiator hose from the auto store as shown in your diagram, how would I connect the radiator hose to the garbage disposal? Can I buy an adaptor that will fit on the disposal nozzle and the radiator hose? Will I need another piece of copper tube and clamps for that joint? --Jean
You’ll need one of these, a short piece of pipe and an extra clamp.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-3-...3cbTrYhs2S52_zflZ7RoCFmgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

All you need is:
5/8 ID drain hose
hose clamps.

Or a Everbilt 1-1/2 in. Black Rubber Dishwasher Garbage Disposal Connector-C7983C - The Home Depot

----------------------------------------
Mr. David, can you suggest anything for me?
This is a pic of my drain hose. I can't connect it with the copper pipe because it is a little too small diameter. I think it's because of the ribbing. I can't get the piece of copper pipe into it.
Any ideas??

dishwasher drain hose.jpg

That usually has a rubber boot molded onto the corrugated white tube.

There’s nothing I’m aware of that will connect to that hose and seal properly.l

Latest posts

Back