Dishwasher drain “mess”

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper1955

Reaction score
I need a simple fix to get rid of this mess (see picture). This is the drain for the dish washer

Attachments

• 4F53B14B-1561-4366-9122-D21F588C29D5.jpeg
    4F53B14B-1561-4366-9122-D21F588C29D5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Yes. If you have a garbage disposal the DW drain can be attached to the "outlet" just above the drain pipe on the disposal. You'll have to take a large screwdriver, or punch to knock out the plastic piece inside the small pipe, then fish it out of the disposal.
If no disposal then a "dishwasher branch tailpiece" can be installed in the drain line.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...c-Dishwasher-Branch-Tailpiece-C9816/205153966
Then take out that pipe mess and install a threaded plug with pipe dope. That was probably designed to be a clean-out.

What is that pipe it goes into? Looks too short to be a stand-pipe drain. I'm guessing there's no trap on it? Likely a clean out, like House Doc said.

Whoever did that was certainly creative, though.

Ha. They definitely were creative. Problem is not much room. The proper attachment probably won’t fit. Notice the trap is very close to the wall. That is why I call it a mess! 😊9B5B992B-E473-4DF6-8B5F-FD5521897164.jpeg

Actually, the "dishwasher branch" could go right where the extension pipe is under he "T". It might take a little creative pipe cutting, but it would work.
Although, the drain design looks very flimsy, that center "T" is really the weak spot. A plumber or decent handyman could redesign the drains and resolve the many problems that exist.

Actually, the "dishwasher branch" could go right where the extension pipe is under he "T". It might take a little creative pipe cutting, but it would work.
Although, the drain design looks very flimsy, that center "T" is really the weak spot. A plumber or decent handyman could redesign the drains and resolve the many problems that exist.
Ok. So you are saying above the p-trap?

Ok. So you are saying above the p-trap?
Yes...right below the "T", in place of the extension pipe. And while you have it apart replace those pieces that you (?) "Gooped" o_O
Ha. I might not do this project right now. Other pressing things. Thanks for the idea on this! When I fix I’ll post. 😊
Yes...right below the "T", in place of the extension pipe. And while you have it apart replace those pieces that you (?) "Gooped" o_O
Thanks. Great idea! I don’t have time to deal with it right now but I will post when I get it fixed! God Bless!

Back