Disassembling a Fluidmaster 400ah or 400a Fill Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck1109

Reaction score
Hi,
I am curious to know if a Fluidmaster 400 (a or ah) model Fill Valve can be totally disassembled (for cleaning)? (I've removed the cap and have let the water flush out the top area, although I'm still experiencing slow tank fill time. The bowl fills at normal speed. Also, I've removed the white 'corkscrew' water speed regulator, but the tank still fills slowly.)
I've been able to take most of the flush valve apart, with the exception of the chamber at the top of the 'tower' in which the water is diverted to the tank fill and the bowl fill. I've included a photo here.
I'm not sure if the white plastic part (with the 'spokes') is removable to reveal the rubber seal underneath?
Is there a breakaway diagram to show what happens under this area, where the water splits into the tank fill and bowl fill channels?

Thanks!

2022-06-07_163632.png

Since they cost $7 I replace them.

The come apart into three main pieces.
The cap assembly that retains the diaphragm.
The mid section with refill outlet and capture ring.
Then finally the shaft that connects to the tank.

You can take all that part and clean it.

Just for info ....
the center section simply slides off the base pipe that's fastened to the tank.
You just slide the "keeper" ring up and the top portion will pull off.
I replace mine about once per year due to crappy water and keep several replacements in queue.

400A.jpeg

I've been told the 400a has a filter about where it protrudes through the porcelain? I too just toss them, but I've been told that filter clogs first.

Latest posts

Back