Director of IT - (Not) So Handy Handy Man

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbawny

Reaction score
Hi All:

I'm certainly no "Joe the Plumber". I'm Bob the IT Guru, professional IT Director/CIO.

I can do some basic plumbing and home repair. But I'm learning.

I'm warring with a toilet bowl low water level issue. It's between me and the bowls and I need to be the victor! :)

My low-toilet bowl water level has become my focus. I'm like a dog trying to dig to get a chipmunk out of his hole. I'm going to be tenacious until I am the victor!

outside of that, I've got a lot to learn on how to be more "handy". Thank God for resources like this.

Hey...if you ever need a little IT Advice, just ask. I've been at IT my whole life, helping small to medium sized businesses. It's what I do. I'm an Elder Geek. Been around since the days of Pong and Apple II. (My first programming was learning 6502 machine code. Writing programs in hex bytes...now that's not easy!)

:)

There is no way to increase the level in a toilet bowl if the refill tube is filling the toilet to its maximum depth. And you determined that when you slowly filled the toilet bowl with water. When you slowly fill the bowl with water, the level increases until begins to overflow into the drain line. At that point, the geometry of the toilet will not allow the bowl level to increase. If these are "new style" toilets, the level could be the design level of that toilet. There are other things that can pull water out of the toilet like you found on YT, but by slowly pouring water into the toilet bowl and without any other fixtures draining, the resulting level is it for that toilet bowl.

A crack or porcelain flaw is also possible, but as you said, you have two toilets that are acting the same, so that is highly unlikely. As long as the water level is like 2 inches or more above the top of the toilet discharge opening, the toilet is properly providing the water trap that keeps sewer gases from entering your home. Water seeks its own level, so as you see from the diagram below, if you pour water into the bowl slowly, it simply flows down the drain and cannot increase the level in the bowl.

1664897456268.png

Latest posts

Back