Direct burial of 1" PEX

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blittlej

Reaction score
I am going to bury 1" in PEX in clay soil in North Carolina.

- Can I bury the PEX directly in the clay as long as the clay is firm and just put the clay soil back on top? Or do I need a bed of sand.

- I was thinking about wrapping the pipe in polyethylene foam tubing and snaking for expansion issues and some say that it will help stop or slow any absorption of chemicals that might be in soil (some say PEX can absorb chemicals) .

Also, I have the PEX temporally just laying the in trench and it supply water to the house. There is not any problem with that correct?

Checked with the city before I started on the need for a permit. They said if I am not changing sizing, not adding or deleting and it is under $15,000 I do not need one. But, I can get one if someone thinks it still a good idea.

I just want to make sure I do this right and to code.

The UPC says that we are not allowed to sleeve PEX in any material that is not approved for potable water.
I've always hated this provision and run into trouble because inspectors would not approve using the Sch.80 PVC pre-formed electrical conduit long sweep elbows when we are running PEX under slabs (using sweeps to make the risers).
So technically you are not allowed to use that poly tubing you mention in the original post.
On the other hand: Heck! How much of that UPC rule is based on science? we don't know where it came from and even inspectors have allowed me to use the Sch. 80 sweeps grudgingly because there are no nice alternatives available.
Trying to imagine molecules going from protective poly tubing to PEX is beyond my brain power.

Latest posts

Back