Did they quit making the handiest fitting of all?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point about the height Frodo. Only reasons for lower would be for shorter people and/or disabled people who will be sitting so they don't need the height-- but having the showerhead above the shower stall would save from having to cut a hole in the fiberglass/acrylic. A wall panel above the shower would be more forgiving of mistakes (and easier to replace if something goes wrong).

If you fellows would re-read what I wrote, I epoxy and reinforce with epoxy/Fiberglas the thin wall fittings to the Fiberglas wall. The piping in the wall is thoroughly strapped to framing and often foamed in place. To make a statement like “you have been using these wrong for years” is wrong and assaults me. Using drop ear Ellis only with no way to stabilize the tubing or pipe passing through the Fiberglas is ignoring the plain physics of the installation, relying on a “that’s the way we always did it “ logic.
If such an argument was true, we would still be using sweat fittings with solder fill holes drilled in them and “Orangeburg” sewer pipe.
By the way, your suggestion to use these thin wall fittings on stainless commercial sinks is not correct. Check any good copper fittings catalog for a “Sink Ell” made with an integral flange around the FIP tapping and 1/2” set inlet. Those are the correct fitting for the commercial sink.
Some research to determine the most recent best practices might be a good idea before attacking forum contributors in the future.

Latest posts

Back