did the tile cut this line?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrazzeal

Reaction score
I'm looking for some clarification if the poly line running under this new tile floor was cut by the sharp tile (underneath). The tile guy is not taking any responsibility for this line being cut by the sharp tile. I have seen tile cut a poly/pex line in the past and that is why tile guys always have to bevel the edges of tile if they put flooring right up next to a line like this?
Has anyone else seen this situation happen before? The home owner thinks we pulled to hard on the waterline when we were installing the fridge to this line.

It is leaking from under the floor at the edge of the tile where it is touching the poly line. We told them that the solenoid on the fridge would cause the line to be cut by the tile.

Attachments

• 20220802_085634 resized.jpg
    20220802_085634 resized.jpg
    928.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220802_090517.mp4
    23.7 MB
Friend of mine was replacing some in a condo back in the early 90’s.

He cut the pipe at a sharp angle with his tubing snips. He pulled on it from the other room and it wouldn’t come out of the wall.

So he went back into the bathroom where he cut it to look up in the wall to see why it wouldn’t come out.

When he looked the pipe jumped as it was hung up under tension.

The sharp point where he cut the pipe at an angle went in between his orbital socket and his eyeball. Had to have surgery.

Then as it was almost healed he replaced his field lines at his house and got it infected.

He almost died in the hospital and is partially blind in that eye.

Based on the flow of water in the video, it looks like the pipe is cut deeper than the edge of that piece of tile.

It looks like an easy fix by removing that one small piece of flooring, or just reroute the entire segment of tubing.

This was the class action lawsuit, which covered 1995-2009. It is too late to take action now (I was too late as well to take action)

https://www.pbpipe.com/

That original installation is so very non conforming to any standard, it is impossible to point fingers at anyone but the tubing installer.

The finger has already been pointed at the resin manufacturer, defective polybutylene.

We had a mobile home on property in the late 90's and were part of the Shell/Dupont settlement. We had 3 leaks and luckily saved the fittings that were cut out to submit to the lawyers.

Latest posts

Back