Did I get scammed today, in Texas again without hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bozena

Reaction score
I called at least 50 plumbers for water heater repair but the time to get someone in is 2-3 weeks. We are without hot water.

I found someone on facebook today and was happy that someone could come out today. I forgot to check the license. The man showed up, no tools, no business card, no names on truck and started talking being pushy yelling at me using scare tactics. He had promised on the phone he would replace a thermocouple. When he came he said he didn’t bring parts and I needed to buy a new water heater (mine is 15 years old) or pay him for diagnosis. When I said I will get my husband he got scared and started to walk away. I checked afterwards and he doesn’t seem to have plumber’s license.

What is the diagnosis for thermocouple? Do you use micrometer to check the voltage? We would prefer the repair. Can water heater last a bit longer than 15 years or should we be prepared to replace it?

What is the fair price to pay for new water install? Mine is State Select, 40 gallon gas water heater. Just worried about the cost.

Thank you for all your help. I am very grateful.

Last edited:
The only reason you must replace a water heater typically is if parts are not available or the tank is leaking.

That said, 14 yrs is above the average life of a tank water heater.

It could last an hour or it could last years.

There are ways to test a water heaters thermocouple and there are checks for the gas valve.

I Would do what I could get done the fastest if I didn’t have hot H2O but be safe while doing it. Water heaters can be dangerous.

40 gal installed on the ground floor with easy access and it’s up to current code runs my customers 975.in Alabama. 50 gas is 1075. Installed. I’m in no way saying this is what it should or will cost in Texas or anywhere else, including from others in my own service area. I speak for myself only.

I give a 1 yr parts and labor from top to bottom on top of any manufacturers warranty.

I use Rheem for gas. I’ll use any brand for electrics.....but usually Rheem or AO smith.

Last edited:
I usually do not have my sign on my truck.

I do not want to advertise. I have too much work.

I do not want to be followed and have my van stolen or tools.

I’m usually out of business cards and I forget to put more in my van. With smart phones who needs a card ?

I do have every license you can get 😬
I have a new truck stocked with tools snd parts.

I’ll show plumbers crack for a fee. 🤭🤣😬

I never make a decision based on the money I’ll make, but rather based off what I thinks best for my customers situation.
I give options and advice, the decision is the customers.

However I have refused to do stupid stuff that customers want even if they would pay me. I’ll walk off if it gets too stupid.,

I’m thinking about loading up and coming to help Texas. I feel sorry for you guys.

Last edited:
Trucks a mess right now. I need to build a tower store all those parts organizers.

35532584-CDC2-405D-9B88-5A73C6B3C9C4.jpeg

Thank you for your reply.

I will get on a waiting list with a reputable plumbing company. I don’t think I have a choice.

Latest posts

Back