Desperate for help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilla

Reaction score
Two years ago I built a new, hundred-year olde English country house with which I am very pleased overall. Sadly, however, from the very getgo, there has been a leak. It's not massive but it is steady and it will preclude my ultimately turning the downstairs into living quarters much less ultimately selling the house. Original plumber is "flummoxed." So what do I do? The leak drips into the unfinished daylight basement from the mudroom and/or kitchen. I think of surgeons who snake cameras thru intestines; is there such a thing for pipes? I cringe at the thought of having to sue. How do I handle this? How do I get this plumber to solve the problem, one of HIS making?

There are cameras that can pass through drain lines, but I am not aware of any commonly available cameras that can inspect small bore piping that you will have for your water supply and distribution piping.

Have you contacted the general contractor, and if so, what does he say?

A water line can be tested with air. If this is not good call a leak detection company. They can use electronics to locate the leak. You may find it necessary to cut walls open

If the water lines are PVC you should refrain from using air, as Richard said you may have to open ceilings or walls to fix it, doing so will allow you to remove any moulds in the affected area, also could make it cheaper to have a professional out to fix it, if the leak is exposed from him.

Since it's a steady leak I would also worry about the development of mold. Try to see if you can get a second opinion from a different plumber and go from there. As everyone else said you may need to open some walls to get to it but the sooner it's fixed the less damage.

Good luck!

Retroloco-LJ

Last edited:
Thank you all for your fine counsel. I am now in search of someone solid even tho the original plumber makes noises to the effect he's trying to figure out what to do. The leak detection service too sounds good. A) I need to find a pro but then B) I'll need to be able to persuade the individual to drive all the way out here to help me here in the bush on the Olympic Peninsula. Remind me never to build again. Absolutely the worst experience of my life. Thanks again, MUCH.

Latest posts

Back