[Desperate for help] Is there no way to save my bathroom sink anymore?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianipmh

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My bathroom sink fell the other day (wall mounted) and I've been struggling to think of a way to mount it back. One of the pipe broke and my handyman is claiming that I will need to buy an entire new sink as there's no fix. I really can't do this because I can't afford a new one in this economy :(

The sink is an ikea sink and the pipe that broke is in yellow. I can't get the spare part from ikea or eBay but are there any substitutes that can help? Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you guys so much.

Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_instructions/rattviken-sink__AA-908095-5_pub.pdf
Sink: HEMNES / RÄTTVIKEN Sink cabinet with 2 drawers, gray, 32 1/4x19 1/4x35" - IKEA

SzA0jZ9WIP4pFoqPgyrhJSwq85bgzRXMz05W1AV18cZsNrbeJwmttoiM-q8sND9dg1ynmU_yLV9vxlsZc63Cqc7qM72VI5idZIy7I24gC72IztZMDXeuo43az5kJ2EI27hF0gRhgMC4rDzi2DtghXmePsG0AHGSd5v5HGAvhuXQiECE84odAkB0jYD-PkgXAEBW-txxmOtjMxYx2_GjRmZkT-gyTOo-RZMHF_fOHiwS9DKYtCjDeUfUdMtSj-SN2RjNIbhdOY6ldKqci4vkN8ETKN8PrZr8GPTh7flZl677Egx2GfWdpNZ-nqUHMOSVFj8WpOBHMB4shOOl8XmmWrExgMTe70WHxcUSrci-Pkg4otwrS_Ov6V9wBmbM540nsypzov4FoSOMDp5RmT6f6wpHiktrODdrVqehrOpRAlrJWUS9oll7JU75nhyKQUAetC8arU4qKZMopfjaYJ5fRJRhW1lc5Vj4CpVWlhH6G1fvsqhwDROqP0wyqCaCCbcRQb_chiVKM-mP59JDaEzlyMkvit2Bjhe7MHlekDzDxjr41dflGlGgLLqS0_nExV4SoIf3N9BKiguildwPvFfl0LUADlYExf91yOtpjOGZCuw9giWN8FIkALvB_L9yxxcy2p3aJj-PCsw-uGPZwceutadWHQF7ecJ0vCB1ZhKZyYPzKz9XWp7Gk91QlNMSMl8I1HEwyYNaDQAampldEcGRMJGFyUR2mjFC0unKHCKgZ-KuFnpACuXSXGCG5TldPvvSrF9-0=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft
IMG_20200229_113840_01.jpgIMG_20200229_113739_01.jpg

I don’t see the broken pipe in the photos, but if it’s just a pipe, there’s always a way to fix it. As long as the porcelain isn’t cracked, then you won’t need a whole new sink

it looks like whoever installed it didn’t do a very good job mounting it. Gotta get some backing in the walls and screw to something solid

Hi Matt thanks for the response. Here is a better picture for the pipe. My handyman said as long as I can find a replacement for this he can fix it. However he said stores like Home Depot won't have anything like it since it's an ikea pipe.

Based on your professional experience, how would you fix it? Happy to shop around for material to avoid a sink replacement.
IMG_20200519_145720993.jpg

I don’t see a pop up assembly
Can you fill the sink with water and keep it from draining?
If possible I would replace the sink drain assembly
Change the piping coming from the wall
You need to open the wall and install wood back as mentioned before
I didn’t see the drawers there is a handi capped drain assembly that may work in place of that ikea drain

Hi Matt thanks for the response. Here is a better picture for the pipe. My handyman said as long as I can find a replacement for this he can fix it. However he said stores like Home Depot won't have anything like it since it's an ikea pipe.

Based on your professional experience, how would you fix it? Happy to shop around for material to avoid a sink replacement.
View attachment 24416

you don’t need that particular drain. It can be repiped to clear the drawers using a regular drain assembly and an elbow. You will just have to use a rubber plug rather than the stopper that’s there now. He will just have to find a way to tie in the overflow.
If I was on site I could do it, just having trouble putting it into words. But you don’t need a new sink

I didn’t see the drawers there is a handi capped drain assembly that may work in place of that ikea drain

Sorry but I don't really understand the response due to my lack of plumbing knowledge. Are you suggesting it is possible to replace the entire sink drain assembly? Where can I buy that? Here's the part that's broken. Thanks again!!
ikea.PNG

When I turn on the water
you don’t need that particular drain. It can be repiped to clear the drawers using a regular drain assembly and an elbow. You will just have to use a rubber plug rather than the stopper that’s there now. He will just have to find a way to tie in the overflow.
If I was on site I could do it, just having trouble putting it into words. But you don’t need a new sink

I can definitely switch out to a rubber plug.

Are you suggesting that I buy a new drain assembly kit and rearrange the piping to fit the new kit?
What are these parts called? I googled drain assembly kit but couldn't find anything from home depot and such.

Thanks

Google “chain and plug sink drain”

and yes, you can plumb the drainage to accommodate whats already there. You would probably use a dishwasher wye to tie in the overflow

Thanks Matt. I don't quite understand how switching to a chain and plug sink fixes the problem but I'm hoping my handyman can understand your response :)

The current drain you have is damaged. Replacing it is how you fix the problem. What you have now is exclusive to ikea sinks, which you said you couldn’t buy. So you can buy a universal drain and adapt it to your sink

Got it thank you!
google handi cap lav drain assembly not sure how much you need to clear th draws if that’s to short like matt30 mentioned a conventional lv drain will work with other common parts

Last edited:
google handi cap lav drain assembly not sure how much you need to clear th draws if that’s to short like matt30 mentioned a conventional lv drain will work with other common parts

I think I understand this now. Essentially I can get a handi cap lav drain assembly to replace the parts I highlighted in yellow and blue. If the drawers are in the way I'll just have to buy other conventional pipes that can connect with it but this would be the workaround.

Looks like I don't have to buy a new sink like I was told :)
Untitled.png

I think I understand this now. Essentially I can get a handi cap lav drain assembly to replace the parts I highlighted in yellow and blue. If the drawers are in the way I'll just have to buy other conventional pipes that can connect with it but this would be the workaround.

Looks like I don't have to buy a new sink like I was told :)
View attachment 24423
Yes, you can also buy a conventional lav drain and use readily available either way can be done

I found this video that may be helpful. The pros here would need to say whether this guy knows what hes talking about or not.

Latest posts

Back