Designing Blackwater Tank for Service

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damron

Reaction score
I own a tiny one room cabin with a tiny bathroom. Due to the cost of creating a septic system in the rocky terrain and the limited use the cabin will receive, I'm going to use a black water tank like you might find on a construction site or RV.

The function of the toilet and tank are simple, it's a straight toilet to tank.

With the thought that I'm going to have a septic service company pump it out every 6-12 months, I'm wondering what fittings and ports a septic guy would like to see.

If my tank had a normal dump port with valve and sewer hose could the pump keep up with the drainage?

As there is little clearance to pump from the top of the tank, I'm looking for options that a septic guy would be okay with.

I've never seen the pumpers use and fittings at the end of their hose. I'd be willing to buy one.

Ideas?

Look up septic holding tanks. Most holding tanks are septic tanks that have not had the knockouts removed.

Look up septic holding tanks. Most holding tanks are septic tanks that have not had the knockouts removed.

The issue is that most tanks are pumped from the top with a large access port.

I'll try again, so far nobody has understood the issue I'm having or the question I'm asking. I've engineered the toilet and tank. I have no questions about what tanks are available. My question is aimed at a septic technician.

Septic tanks are normally pumped from above.

My tank will not have access from above.

There is no problem installing a port on the side.

The question is, can septic tank pumpers deal with this?

1) They are not used to attaching any hardware to the end of their pump hose.

2) If I stuck my drain hose inside their pump hose, can they deal with the flow when there is no fitting between their hose and mine?

Septic tanks are normally pumped from above.

My tank will not have access from above.

The question is, can septic tank pumpers deal with this?

My suggestion is to call the septic pumpers serving your cabin area. You are correct, they normally deal with top entry buried tanks. They hold 1,000 gallons +/-. I know it cost me $175 to pump recently; so if you are not using a septic tank, but pumping EVERYTHING that's a pretty costly setup.

Assuming you won't be totally off the grid...have you considered one of those "electric toilets"?

If you have power, you won't be counting flushes or waiting for the "Johnny On The Spot" pump guy to show up...

https://incinolet.com/how-it-works/

I have lived on boats and RV's, I've considered all solutions. Having my tank pumped once or twice a year is better than any of the alternatives.

My preference is to place the tank under the cabin like and RV. I don't want to use a macerater and full flush required to get stuff to a tank not directly under the toilet.

My suggestion is to call the septic pumpers serving your cabin area. You are correct, they normally deal with top entry buried tanks. They hold 1,000 gallons +/-. I know it cost me $175 to pump recently; so if you are not using a septic tank, but pumping EVERYTHING that's a pretty costly setup.

$175 every 6-12 months is nothing. I'm not running gray water to the tank.

I was also thinking of the Incinolet toilet that Mitchel mentioned.

There are also composting toilets.

I'll contact local companies. Expected to find a service guy in the forum.

If your cabin is remote, or has difficult access, you might pay a higher fee to get a pumper to come out there.

Composting toilets are horrible. I prefer my crap to exit the bathroom. With a four inch pipe straight down, very little water is used.

I've purchased a full size RV toilet with two position foot lever, fill and flush.

I have good access, better than many homes. I've seen trucks need 100 feet of hose. After some more Bobcat work, you'll be able to park two feet away from tank.

Attachments

• D5F744EF-F24A-4F93-982B-8AE9390EB73D.jpeg
    D5F744EF-F24A-4F93-982B-8AE9390EB73D.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 7E5DAEAE-F24F-476A-AD54-12FBD99D5B77.jpeg
    7E5DAEAE-F24F-476A-AD54-12FBD99D5B77.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 10
  • E2A93F7D-7509-4D67-948E-9A8C3D2A110E.jpeg
    E2A93F7D-7509-4D67-948E-9A8C3D2A110E.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 10
It might be necessary for tank to extend from beyond back of cabin to allow access from a port on top of tank. I was hoping for a cleaner looking install.

Why wouldn't you just contact your local septic company first.
Find out what type and size connection he would require to be able to connect to.
And that's it.
Why take a chance based on someones advice over the internet?

Latest posts

Back