Descaling Cast Iron Sewer Pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fschlenter911

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Cast Iron sewer line under the street to the sewer main. Is it good to have it descaled or does it weaken the pipe? Thx

No descaling. As it ages, cast iron often sluffs off layers, but don't worry.

Do you have a sense for how long it lasts? It's under my basement slab and under a residential street. Hoping that I can get 100 years?

that depends the amount of use, what you put down the drain,quality of the pipe, we just had some pipe rot out at work that was probably 75 years old, i think it would have lasted longer but drain cleaning liquid is used quite often, by some of the guys at work
in MY opinion its the easy way out.....but i enjoy snaking drains....

Well, I don't really know the quality of the cast iron pipe and would presume clay soil. Interesting, I might want to find out somehow. Your other point is don't put Liquid Plumber down the drain. I was thinking about this and wondered how the plumber 15 years ago attached the new PVC to the Cast Iron? Maybe that's a weak point in the system.

You did not mention any pvc sewer in your original post.

A common cause of sewer failure is when the house gradually settles, and the cast iron sewer breaks, usually very close to the foundation.

You did not mention any pvc sewer in your original post.

A common cause of sewer failure is when the house gradually settles, and the cast iron sewer breaks, usually very close to the foundation.
Hi Jeff, I had my sewer replaced from the house to the street. So maybe I am good on the sewer settling issue. Will cross my fingers there. Having said, I have a cast iron vertical in the home bending under the slab and going to the front of the home. Interestingly, I also have cast iron going from my walk-out (in back) to a connection point under the slab I presume. Then I have the replaced sewer line (pvc) from the front of the home to the street. Connecting to a cast iron lateral under and across the street to the county main sewer line. That would be to the best of my knowledge configuration. Thanks to you and everyone on this thread for being so helpful!!

The sewer line going out to the back yard might be going to a storm sewer.
Or just to a dry well, or to daylight.

The sewer line going out to the back yard might be going to a storm sewer.
Or just to a dry well, or to daylight.
I've seen clean-outs stubbed in at the back when that was closest to most of the served vertical lines. Easier than running the snake from the front uphill the length of the house.

jack vines

Latest posts

Back