Deposits in Faucet Filters From Softener??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ine2201

Reaction score
house constructed in 2000. Copper water lines. Softener installed at original construction. Recently began to get deposits in faucet filters - the ones at the end of the faucet inside the aerator. Deposits are similar to small salt granules, but do not taste like salt. Show up in all faucets. Softener seller was out and says deposits due to reaction between copper water lines running adjacent to or under air ducts from HVAC system. Doesn't make sense to me as some of the most significant deposits are in a faucet in workroom sink next to water heater. Supply lines never get close to any air ducts. anyone have alternate theories? Thanks!!

I've never heard of that theory. I do know pipes will begin to receive calcium deposits from the water itself but your water is softened, unless some areas are bypassed? Have you done a complete flush of the water softener? If so, I wonder if the granules are from your public water supply? If this is the case, a whole house filter would take care of the problem.

Softener seller was out and says deposits due to reaction between copper water lines running adjacent to or under air ducts from HVAC system.
I guess that was easier than addressing the real problem.

Do these granules break up between your fingers or are they more like sand(little rocks)?

Do you have city water or do you have a well?

"Do these granules break up between your fingers or are they more like sand (little rocks)?" More like small pebbles, some break, but most do not. They are mostly clear to slightly cloudy. They are about the size of finely ground pepper.

I am on city water. The only portion of the system that by-passes the softener is the line to the outdoor sprinklers.

Thanks!!

Since your on city water and I don't think you could be getting sand from the city, I am leaning toward your softener leaking media. This can happen.

Latest posts

Back