Delta tub & shower install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbs122

Reaction score
I install a Delta B114915C with my new bathroom renovation. When I tested the shower and tub out water was coming out of both the shower and tub spout at the same time. I found lots of videos saying that it could be the spout that was causing the issue so I removed that spout from the pipe and got the same result. Can someone help with what might be the problem. This was a brand new from Lowes shower & tub set.

I need more information. How much water was coming out of each? Was one just dripping?

Normally this happens when the diverter has worn down and doesn't provide a seal. Although, yours is new.

I need more information. How much water was coming out of each? Was one just dripping?

Normally this happens when the diverter has worn down and doesn't provide a seal. Although, yours is new.

They both had a good stream of water coming out of them. When I capped off the shower part there wasn't a solid flow of water. This happened with the tub spout on and off the pipe.

Did you use pex on the tub spout? Delta instructions say to use copper for the spout. Pex restricts the flow rate causing the problem your having.

No didn't use PEX used 1/2 cpvc which is what Lowes said would work. The water lines that was there with the older delta faucet had 1/2 cpvc lines. We just replaced them all with new lines.

What Lowes said! What makes you think they have plumbing knowledge?
A lot of people are under the impression that employees at the big box stores actually know what they are talking about. Now, there's an odd employee who used to be a plumber from time to time (I met one who actually gave good advice & knew code) but they are rare.
I found they have some copper stub outs with PEX fittings push fit on the end that you can slide over other pipe if you don't want to sweat copper, but I was told you have to stabilize it to keep it from moving. They sell a piece of metal like a ruler that has holes in it that you can fit pipe through & you can nail the metal to the studs & it will reduce side to side/twisting movement of the pipe. but you need something sturdy to slide it on to.

Zanne, you are correct. Most of the plumbers on this site has probably used these brackets. They are called HoldRite brackets in case someone wants to use them for a project.

Thanks, Tom! I couldn't remember the name & the ones I bought are in my truck in a bin full of stuff (I need to make room in some closets in the house for supplies). HOLDRITE 20 in. Flat Copper-Bonded Bracket Positions 1/2 in., 3/4 in. or 1 in. Pipe-107-18-H - The Home Depot

In a related link there's also Oatey 1/2 in. Insulating Suspension Pipe Clamp (5-Pack)-33584 - The Home Depot but it doesn't span the joists like the HoldRite piece does.

What I did was get something like this Tectite 1/2 in. Copper 90-Degree Push-to-Connect x 8 in. Stub-Out Elbow-FSBSTUB8 - The Home Depot

A regular 1/2" diameter 24" long copper pipe (which I will cut in half to use on two different tubs) and a fitting to go from the valve to the copper (via push fit). I will use the holdrite brackets to keep the spout straight. (I will have to look at whether I have fip or mip ends on my valve).

Perhaps cbs122 can do something similar.

The problem with CPVC is that it tends to become brittle over the years & can break. I've had it happen with some of my older pipes. Even if it's not brittle, it is still easier to break than copper.

Latest posts

Back