Delta shower cartridge replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Hiebert

Reaction score
I recently replaced the shower valve cartridge on a single handle shower valve (Delta) which is 15 years old and no longer supported by Delta. The old valve had a drip and I figured this was the way to fix the problem. I ordered a compatible valve on Amazon... RP32104 Faucet Cartridge Assembly Replace For Delta Compatible With Monitor 17 Series (1998-2005) This is a plastic cylinder/cartridge that uses a handle for on/off and a lever on the end for hot/cold. There's also a single on/off knob for two jets that shoot straight out and we never use.

I don't recall what the instructions said but I didn't use any silicone grease this time. The valve worked on installation but did not turn freely. This problem got worse until today when I tried to turn the shower off and it only cut water flow about 50%. It will not turn off. I put a dime in front of the shower head washer just to block water flow so I can use the rest of the plumbing in the house.

Is this problem caused by lack of silicone grease (assuming that should be used?) and is there hope for this valve if I remove it and replace any o-rings that might have moved? This part is obviously foreign made and Delta does not have anymore of them so I"d need to make this one work or order another similar one.

You most likely have a Delta 1500 if it’s no longer supported by Delta.

All 15 year old faucet cartridges are still supported by delta.

You need a 1700 series cartridge with an adapter o use an old 1500 handle or you need a 1700 series cartridge and a new volume handle and temp dial adjustment lever.

Here is the Delta product info sheet of the cartridges. The cartridge on the right is the original 1500 series. Delta made a replacement for the 1500 series cartridge which is just a 1700 series cartridge with a handle adapter so you could use the old trim of the 1500 series.

You can use just a 1700 series cartridge but you must change the handle trim if you do.
570C6088-636F-429C-8E09-E3C8B266FBC3.jpeg
http://pdf.lowes.com/installationgu...k3aWdSNlVnSk9GOWtGYzNJTlZOSWFBcy1xRUFMd193Y0I.

Buy the factory part not a remake knock off for half price.
https://www.build.com/delta-rp32104/s669399
You could always take it apart and make sure nothing has lodged itself into the faucet. Or take it apart and lube it up with silicone grease and replace the seats. Or you could rebuild it with new parts.

Thanks for the input here. "ASSE 1016 P DELTA" is stamped on the retaining ring. I removed the ring and one of the two black o-rings was slightly displaced and the black plastic circular piece was distorted. Should silicone or vaseline be applied to these two small o-rings on installation? Does this displacement and distortion indicate an original defect?

Based off what you’ve posted I would replace the cartridge with factory parts. Replace all the internal parts.

Back