Delta Shower Cartridge- No Water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilb3

Reaction score
I replaced the cartridge on my master bathroom shower but I can't get any water to come out. Water came out of the shower head for about two seconds when I initially turned it on- at which seemed to be the normal water pressure but then it immediately stopped. Could I have installed the cartridge incorrectly or backwards (cold side on hot water side and visa/versa)? Its a Delta cartridge with the white plastic housing (for units made before 2006).

Take the showerhead off and check again.

The faucet must have hot and cold water pressure, so make sure all stop valves are open.

I appreciate the tip Twowaxhack and will give it a go.

Twowaxhack, I was just thinking- I shut off my water main prior to replacing the cartridge and didn't even mess with the stop valves on the shower head. That being the case, they wouldn't be a factor- would they?

Sounds like you have introduced crud and sediment when you shut off your main valve. I'm sure Two Wax will respond soon, but I'd recommend removing that new valve, and have someone quickly turn the main valve on then off, a few times, trying to flush that line. You may even open and close the stops a few times, once again trying to flush that sediment. Then inspect that cartridge for sediment, then reinstall again. You will be surprised how much crud and sediment gets sent downstream whenever you open or close your main valve. Lastly, using the stop valves stops when replacing your cartridge introduces far less sediment than your main incoming valve.

That makes complete sense on the crud Havasu. I didn't think about that. I guess that's why I'm on here. Much appreciated! I will likely get back into it the next couple evenings or this coming weekend.

You'll need two people to do this, and will probably get wet, so proceed with caution.

Back