Delta kitchen faucet leak: driving me crazy!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nys2020

Reaction score
I've done my fair share of plumbing repairs over the years. Our kitchen faucet is leaking under the sink. This is a 23 year-old Delta 2-handle faucet with sprayer, 2174 series, I think. I have the original installation/parts sheet. I ruled out the sprayer itself as the leak source by swapping in a new one that my local plumbing supply store was kind enough to let me "borrow."

In looking at the parts breakout, I figured the O rings were probably shot after 23 years - and I was right. When I removed the spout assembly, the rings were worn down to little more more than smooth, decaying bands of rubber. I replaced them, along with the diverter and its rubber washer. The diverter was not easy to remove.

When I reassembled everything and turned on the water, the leak was WORSE! I had the wife turn on the water supply (the shutoffs are under the floor in the basement) while I was under the sink watching. The water is leaking out from around the base of the faucet spout - NOT from around the brass nut - please see the photo. The breakout of the faucet parts doesn't show anything else down there: the middle (spout) of the faucet is secured with a brass nut, and the assembly instructions don't show any other O rings or washers. I see there is caulk under this area (also visible in the photo), but I can't believe that a little missing caulk would be the issue - where is all that water leaking from? I haven't yet pulled the entire faucet out to look underneath.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be going on?

TIA for your help!

Attachments

• faucet_leak.jpg
    faucet_leak.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 13
I hate to throw anything away if I can fix it. I don't mind pulling it, but I can't see any other wear parts in the breakout that might be the culprit.

There is a kit delta sells your leak is coming from your spout o-rings failing
There are 2 o-rings if you have a spray hose there is a diverter under the spout
It's a small white plastic/rubber part
Forgot to ask is it a single handle or2 handle it will make a difference when ordering the kit the diverter is sold separately

I already replaced those O rings and the diverter - read my initial message. Both easily obtainable from local plumbing supply store. I am pretty sure something is cracked under the faucet, as there really isn't anything left to replace that could be the source of the leak.

I already replaced those O rings and the diverter - read my initial message. Both easily obtainable from local plumbing supply store. I am pretty sure something is cracked under the faucet, as there really isn't anything left to replace that could be the source of the leak.
Yeh didn't read the whole post if you have changed parts and now think something is cracked like breplum
Mentioned it's time to go

I finally found that o-rings in my kitchen faucet were the leak's source. Swapped out the O-rings and solved (except spout now resists turning).
Vaguely possible that you damaged lower (?) ring when replacing the spout; did you grease the rings and spout with silicone grease or soap/detergent before re-assembly? If you're adamant about fixing it, pull the spout again, and have a look at the o-rings, maybe that's the problem. If not, start shopping, your time is valuable too.

My Price Pfisters were over 15 years old when they started leaking; I had a kitchen with two sinks, identical, and identical faucets. Lifetime warranty. They sent all the parts. If the parts don't work they'll send a new faucet. Have you checked on the warranty on your faucets? Maybe you can get free parts or a new faucet.

Price Pfister has a forever warranty...not too bad.

Latest posts

Back