Delta faucet 2594-mpu-dst leaking down liftrod hole after new cartridges installed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnybrook

Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife and I built our home in 2017. The builder installed 5 Delta faucets model 2594-mpu-dst in 3 bathrooms. About a month ago we noticed we had leaks under 3 of the 5 faucets. There is some minor water damage to the cabinet but nothing I'm going to worry about.

I did some searching online for potential reasons for the leak. Most things said the cartridges were the likely culprit. I called Delta and told them the issue. They sent me new cartridges.

Tonight, I cleaned the aerator and replaced the cartridges on one of the sinks. All seems good. No sign of leak. On the second sink, there is still a small leak making it's way down the liftrod strap when the liftrod is pulled up or pushed down while water is running.

What should I do next? Are there better faucet brands that don't start leaking like this?

Delta has a lifetime warranty.
Typically when we call about this particular leak, they first want to send you cartridges. This is, of course, not the issue, but their menu for problem solving insists on sending free cartridges first.
Then you call again, tell them you did replace the cartridges and they will send a new faucet(s).
I've run into this specific leak multiple times. Delta is an ok lower cost brand.

Delta has a lifetime warranty.
Typically when we call about this particular leak, they first want to send you cartridges. This is, of course, not the issue, but their menu for problem solving insists on sending free cartridges first.
Then you call again, tell them you did replace the cartridges and they will send a new faucet(s).
I've run into this specific leak multiple times. Delta is an ok lower cost brand.
Thank you! I guess I'll replace the cartridges on the 3rd sink tomorrow and see if it still leaks as well before calling Delta on Monday.

What is a better brand that you would recommend? I know I should purchase them at a plumbing supply store and not a big box store.

If suggest calling a pro before you replace the faucets. Especially if you’re having trouble with more than one AFTER you’ve worked on them.

Check that the aerator is installed properly with the rubber seal.

Make sure the cartridge nut is tight.

Make sure the water you’re finding isn’t left over from the repair.

I think that Pfister, Delta and Moen for lav faucets are all “good”
In the past, I was fond of Grohe but now that they have no state’s based local sales reps (Lixil bought them and Toto) I’ve lost faith.
Hansgrohe and American Standard and Kohler are also good. I happen to own what looks like a Glacier Bay teapot faucet that came with my home and is 30 years old at least and never had a problem. They sell still, for $36. !!!

I did once have a Delta with a poor casting. It allowed water to blow out the lift rod hole. They sent my local HD a credit voucher so I could remove and install a new faucet, provided I return the bad one to their office for evaluation. Some inspector was going to get a butt reaming, I'm sure.

Back