Deep Well Pump Turns on but Doesn't Pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coltontvb

Reaction score
I have a 3/4hp deep well pump that is only feeding around 80 feet of pipe to a small house. It was running really well until I suddenly lost all pressure.
1. I checked to see if I had water (lots of water)
2. I confirmed that I had no pressure in my system via the gauge on my pressure tank
3. I manually closed the circuit and the pump turns on but pressure doesn't build (like at all - 0psi, no needle movement)
4. I went down into my well where I have a service port about 10ft down and removed the service port, I turned the pump on and it pumped water out of the service port spraying almost out of the well (nearly 10ft)
5. I reinstalled the service port after confirming there was seemingly good pressure
6. I manually turned the pressure switch back on, the pump primed itself and fed the house great.

After I did the final step I had water and good pressure again for about 10minutes, just long enough for my shower when it died again. What is really odd is that the switch is always in the off position (the pump is NOT running) despite being 0psi.

Wiring wise this pump is a 3 wire that is fed from a control box (big capacitor thingy) then to the pressure switch which is just fed directly from its own breaker. I checked voltage on and off at the switch, at the control box, after the control box and directly at the pump all of which have 230volts,

If somebody has any ideas before I call the repair man I would be thrilled!

Latest posts

Back