Danze bathroom faucet cartridge replacement - sleeve wrench too big

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pakle

Reaction score
My bathroom faucet handles (Danze) squeak or are hard to turn since Day 1. Now it sounds like a jackhammer or water hammer downstairs when the upstairs handle is being used (exaggerating... but not by much). The last time the handyman tried to replace the factory-installed cartridge, the sleeve wrench Danze sent me kept slipping and he could never remove the cartridge. The Danze sleeve wrench is like 15mm & quite loose but a 9/16 socket fits much more snugly. Two questions:

- Do you know of where I can buy a 9/16 sleeve wrench that is as deep as theirs, which is 4.75" long? Hoping the 9/16 won't slip.
- Can I lubricate the white parts of the new cartridge (circled in picture) with silicone grease? These areas do appear to contact with water, though they seem to already have some substance on them. Not sure if it's okay to get it into the water supply.

The instructions say the handle unscrews off the valve body from above to replace the cartridge, and I saw the handyman do this. I don't have the ability to remove the entire valve body & disconnect water hoses from below so I'm hoping to do the replacement from above. I've included pictures of spare parts including handle screwed on valve, cartridge screwed on the valve, and cartridge & sleeve wrench. Thanks for any guidance!

Attachments

• danze faucet handle1.jpg
    danze faucet handle1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • danze faucet handle2.jpg
    danze faucet handle2.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 4
  • danze faucet handle3.jpg
    danze faucet handle3.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 4
  • danze faucet handle4.jpg
    danze faucet handle4.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 3
There is a set of wrench's refered to as (cow bells) you can get them at hd or Lowes but they are flimsy, the flat edges start to round out, try a plumbing supply house or a place that sells tools they come in a set of 6 I think,
Grease is a very good idea on rubber o-rings, threads, and can't hurt on bottom part of the stem

There is a set of wrench's refered to as (cow bells) you can get them at hd or Lowes but they are flimsy, the flat edges start to round out, try a plumbing supply house or a place that sells tools they come in a set of 6 I think,
Grease is a very good idea on rubber o-rings, threads, and can't hurt on bottom part of the stem
I don't think the black o-ring on the cartridge turns because it's getting screwed in (threads next to it). I think the white plastic parts in the picture are turning. Safe to put silicone grease on those white parts even though they appear to have water flow through them?

Here’s a socket that’s 9/16 x 5” deep. It’s outside diameter is 3/4.

Make sure 3/4 will fit down into your tube before you order it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunex-Tools-1-2-in-Drive-9-16-in-Extra-Deep-Socket-SUN218XD/301362562
The valve width is 13/16 so that should (barely) fit! Looks like it has the holes for the screwdriver to fit through and 5" is definitely long enough. I had searched "sleeve wrench" and didn't see this, so thanks for the link!

I don't think the black o-ring on the cartridge turns because it's getting screwed in (threads next to it). I think the white plastic parts in the picture are turning. Safe to put silicone grease on those white parts even though they appear to have water flow through them?
The stuff I use is call slick and slide it's food grade clear grease comes in a white tube I grease all o-rings on water filters backflow preventors and more

The stuff I use is call slick and slide it's food grade clear grease comes in a white tube I grease all o-rings on water filters backflow preventors and more
So I tried smearing some silicone grease on the white parts of a cartridge and it doesn't help. I then sprayed the insides with WD40 Silicone Spray. That did the trick - they turn easily now. I don't think the WD40 Silicone Spray & silicone grease I had laying around are food-safe so I won't install that cartridge, it was just an experiment.

Do you have a recommendation for a food-safe silicone spray that will work in the cartridge? How about this one CRC 03040 Food Grade Silicone Lubricant:
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-03040-Silicone-Lubricant-Weight/dp/B00192D0TQOr am I overthinking the 'food-safe' factor?

Thanks guys.

Here’s a socket that’s 9/16 x 5” deep. It’s outside diameter is 3/4.

Make sure 3/4 will fit down into your tube before you order it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunex-Tools-1-2-in-Drive-9-16-in-Extra-Deep-Socket-SUN218XD/301362562
Darn it, I ordered this one and they must've changed the design from the picture because it's way thicker now than the stated 0.75 inch and therefore doesn't fit in the valve body. Can't find anyone else who sells a different 9/16 in extra deep socket. Danze sent me another sleeve wrench recently but it's the same one as before that slips. Any more ideas? Maybe it's not meant to be.

EDIT:. I've added some tape inside the Danze sleeve wrench so it's tighter. Will see if he can get it off without slipping now.

Attachments

• sunex extra deep socket.jpg
    sunex extra deep socket.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back