Dallas Apt Hot/Cold Line Temperature Balance Issue?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svader96

Reaction score
This isn't for a project, but rather an inquiry for my general knowledge as I can't seem to find my answer anywhere online. I am a novice in DIY plumbing(e.g. installed a few sink and tub faucets) so bear with me as I will do my best to explain. I recently moved into a new apartment in Dallas where I noticed that the hot water is immediately overridden by the slightest adjustment of the cold water knob. This isn't just at a particular sink but seems to be all throughout the system including the showers and all. On a separate but maybe related note, it was my understanding that there are two lines, 1 for hot water and 1 for cold. A standard two knob faucet controls each respectively. So theoretically when both knobs are turned on fully, we get maximum volume water flow where the hot and cold water mixes. However what I've noticed with the faucet here is that there seems to be a steady state net outflow regardless of how much each knob may be turned. Is there some sort of volume conservation control mechanism that reduces the flow of one line while increasing the other?

1 wouldn't this be something you would bring up to who ever you send your rent to?????
2 are other apt having the same issue
3 did you say you installed fixtures here or just in general?????
4this should be your land lords responsibility im sure water/hot water is part of your rent
5 if you start fooling around with rental property (without permission and proper knowledge )you could be opening a can of worms....

He had said, "This isn't for a project, but rather an inquiry for my general knowledge".
One reason for the difference in flows would be the difference in pressures, between hot and cold water systems.
Typically the hot water must go through more piping and devices in order to get heated. And probably more pressure robbing Globe valves.

In my case, I have the hot water side throttled down a bit since my tankless water heater is rather limited as to the amount of hot water it can deliver.

Back