Cutting entire bottom wall plate

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this even legal, having a home built and not sure about these plumbers
I am concerned but not sure who to ask
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210413_084832.jpg
    20210413_084832.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 43
Your button plate just keeps the studs from moving side to side, but being mailed at the bottom. Kind of what was said above. Your good to go.

@Jeff Handy hit the nail on the head. Why is that a 2x4 wall if 3" has to run through it? It should Def be a 2x6 wall.

That wall should be 2x6, not 2x4.

...why?

because that is what the architect specified, the builder wants to pay for, and the plumber has to live with. I see this kind of stuff all the time. In this particular case you were looking at a situation regarding a plumbing stack. I see similar things with HVAC ducting or equipment, and or electrical systems.

“ you are the [insert the name of trades] that’s why we pay you; you figure it out“

This is how people save money. I'm going to bet any design they have is very minimal. There is no wall spec. The carpenters built a wall and the plumber used it. End of story.

Thinking of my own, 2 story house built in ‘93, there are no 2x6 walls. Are 2x6’s required now on interior walls with plumbing stuff? Is that a new requirement? (The comments about not supporting anything make sense to me.)

Thanks.

Not required here, but a 6" "plumbing wall" is definitely an asset where drains are run, along with the metal covers over pipe.

And, did you know: a common stud finder will interpret a pex water line close to the drywall as a stud? [please don't ask how I know]

Not required here, but a 6" "plumbing wall" is definitely an asset where drains are run, along with the metal covers over pipe.

And, did you know: a common stud finder will interpret a pex water line close to the drywall as a stud? [please don't ask how I know]

LOL... I guess a good, old fashioned, magnet is a good second opinion... :)

: ) Only when the steel plate is used, and only where it is applied - not when the line is in the wall vertically, and when the studs are for some reason not at 16".

...why?

because that is what the architect specified, the builder wants to pay for, and the plumber has to live with. I see this kind of stuff all the time. In this particular case you were looking at a situation regarding a plumbing stack. I see similar things with HVAC ducting or equipment, and or electrical systems.

“ you are the [insert the name of trades] that’s why we pay you; you figure it out“
Architects F’up all the time and draw things that can’t be built. The trades often have to work together to correct their F’ups and make compromises.

One problem we ran into on a house was the pitch was 12/12 and the overhang came down over the top of the windows if they built the roof as detailed in the drawings.

We often see 2x4 walls specified when we need a 2x6 for our one required 3” stack in the home.

Ive also ran into problems where the cabinets didn’t fit because the architect didn’t allow for the size trim he specific around the doors and windows.

typically a cabinet guy waits until the frame is complete and maybe even the drywall is up before taking on-site measurements.

I’ve also seen an entire homes second floor sag when the drywall contractor hung the drywall. The architect/engineer specified specific engineered beams to prevent having to put walls or posts downstairs.

The carpenter protested the whole time and was talked to like an idiot by the architect.

They had to gut the interior of that home and rip out all the mechanicals to rebuilt it.

Last edited:
Back