Cut up and remove 75 gallon water heater-

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Whistler

Reaction score
A few months ago, but I just found the pics. 4 other companies said they couldn't do it or they'd have to remove the walls and framing that some dumbass had put up between the mech room and the door. Guy was really happy, also gave us a 5 star review on yelp!

Attachments

• 20220124_133150.jpg
    20220124_133150.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 20220124_133205.jpg
    20220124_133205.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • 20220124_114125.jpg
    20220124_114125.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220124_113406.jpg
    20220124_113406.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • 20220124_112521.jpg
    20220124_112521.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20220124_112028.jpg
    20220124_112028.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 20220124_112024.jpg
    20220124_112024.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
How did you get another one back in there ? Went with a smaller heater or tankless ? Moved its location ?

I cut one up a couple times, no funZ

How did you get another one back in there ? Went with a smaller heater or tankless ? Moved its location ?

I cut one up a couple times, no funZ

nevermind, I see you installed a smaller heater and turned the temp up and used a “ extender “

If it was my house I would’ve wanted that gas regulator moved along with that small copper line immediately downstream of it. Now it’s buried behind the heater.

Also I would’ve wanted that saddle valve removed on the cold side and a real valve installed.

No way to install a pan and drain to the outside ? I suppose it’s in a location that’s not susceptible to damage from water ?

Your work looks good though👍

Last edited:
A few months ago, but I just found the pics. 4 other companies said they couldn't do it or they'd have to remove the walls and framing that some dumbass had put up between the mech room and the door. Guy was really happy, also gave us a 5 star review on yelp!

Everything press-fitted too! Nice!

How many blades did you go through?

Absolutely not saying it's better (in reality it probably will not last as long) - it's just different than most are doing and it does make for a clean-lookin' installation.

I agree that propress is clean although when you press the fittings it can throw your pipe out of alignment. It also distorts the tube wall. While that may not be detrimental, it’s certainly not ideal.

It is just a lot more fun.
I would’ve installed a union, charged more and kept more of that $ in my pocket.

I like how a union can be taken apart and reused. 🤫

Tag, you’re it🤣

Here's A Fun Way...
At the stadium where I worked, there were about 160 water heaters, each 199,000 BTU and 85 to 100 gallons. They were in cinder block fire rated rooms that were built around the heaters.

The block enclosures were too small to lay the heaters down & doorways too small to remove the units. Instead of calling in the maintenance people for block work, the plumbers would take the jacket off the heater. Then they'd drape a moving blanket over the cast iron tank. One plumber would hit it on the side 3 or 4 times with a sledge hammer to break it into chunks. That's when I learned that "Glass Lined" was a thin spray coating. The replacement heaters were small boilers with parallel Boiler Mate tanks.

My father took out our side-arm water heater with the "wrap it and hit it" method when I was a kid. I was lucky & got to do the hitting. (And the cleaning)

nevermind, I see you installed a smaller heater and turned the temp up and used a “ extender “

If it was my house I would’ve wanted that gas regulator moved along with that small copper line immediately downstream of it. Now it’s buried behind the heater.

Also I would’ve wanted that saddle valve removed on the cold side and a real valve installed.

No way to install a pan and drain to the outside ? I suppose it’s in a location that’s not susceptible to damage from water ?

Your work looks good though👍
The regulator is actually more accessible now, you can get to it from the right side, and we always replace saddle valves, I hate those things! Yeah, we're in MD, just north of Washington DC so we get all 4 seasons, inc. some cold ass winters. BTW that is not a challenge for everyone north of us to tell me how much colder it is up there! I know, that's why I moved back to MD, lol!

The regulator is actually more accessible now, you can get to it from the right side, and we always replace saddle valves, I hate those things! Yeah, we're in MD, just north of Washington DC so we get all 4 seasons, inc. some cold ass winters. BTW that is not a challenge for everyone north of us to tell me how much colder it is up there! I know, that's why I moved back to MD, lol!

I see the other saddle valve now, yeah..., well you gotta draw the line somewhere!

I see the other saddle valve now, yeah..., well you gotta draw the line somewhere!

If it leaked a week after you left and the customer called, what would you say or do ?

I’m just curious, I’m in business and like to hear other business owners thoughts.

I was in a different business, but I'd probably charge for parts and give them the labor, and call it a learning experience.

What would you do?
Since you asked,

I would’ve moved the gas regulator and removed the saddle on the first trip.

If you look at the first pic there’s no way I could get to that gas regulator, there’s a wall on the right and it’s buried behind the heater. It would have to spin off the pipe and there’s no room for that even if you could get to it. I would’ve replaced that gas regulator and relocated it.
There would be a gas valve upstream of it as well.

I would’ve checked it to make sure it was a line regulator rather than just a single appliance regulator because it has two lines downstream that the regulator serves. The union isn’t needed. The flare joint is also buried.

If the saddle leaked within 30 days there would be no charge to replace it, parts or labor.

If it leaked and damaged the structure it would be my insurance companies call whether or not to cover the claim. Insurance companies usually pay small claims to stay out of court, it would be out of my hands.

That’s how I would handle it. Everyone has their own way.

Last edited:
A big part of service plumbing is to know what to check and what to replace because often the last man that worked in that room is responsible for any problems that pop up directly after you have been there working.

That’s why we have insurance but you don’t want to make a habit of filing claims.

Latest posts

Back